PDA

View Full Version : High ph question

Victoria
03/21/2006, 03:31 PM
Hi Randy

Lately my ph has been running in the High margins towards the end of the day. In the morning before lights come on It runs(8.0). I use a two part additive which I add everyday before the lights come on. It goes up to 8.5 and then slowly drops to 8.3. Over the course of the day it raises to 8.5, the warning light on my ph meter goes on. It does not go on right at 8.5 so I think its around 8.55 or so. I have been controling it by adding some vinegar to the top off water. I put enought in to lower the ph to 8.4. Is there a problem with doing it this way?

What other ways can I control my ph so it will not go over 8.4? I am not experinceing any extra percipitation on pumps or the heater, and all corals are doing great! In fact the growth rate is super.
Victoria

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/21/2006, 04:02 PM
The only concern with vinegar is that it uses O2, and it drives bacterial growth.

More aeration will reduce the pH swing (total aeration eliminates and pH change). Higher alkalinity can also reduce the pH swing.

This article has more:

High pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-03/rhf/index.htm

PatMayo
03/22/2006, 12:05 AM
I would also suggest that you calibrate your ph meter just to eliminate error. I thought my alkalinity was running on the high side of normal and I decided to move the probe from the sump to the tank itself to eliminate the spike when adding alkalinity. As long as I had to pull it out I decided to calibrate the probe. Lo and behold the probe was off. It was showing average readings of 8.3 or so. Since calibrating it my actual readings are 8.17. I thought it kind of odd that my ph was runing that high. I have a new house that is sealed tight and glass tops on the tank.

Anyway, it's just a cheap way to make sure everything is kosher.

Regards,

Pat

Victoria
03/22/2006, 01:32 PM
Pat
well that's just what I did, and low and behold my meter was off. Ya think you got it and then you forget the basics... thanks
Victoria

PatMayo
03/22/2006, 01:51 PM
That's good news.

Regards,

Pat

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/22/2006, 02:36 PM
:thumbsup:

Happy reefing. :)