PDA

View Full Version : Is aged tap water OK for tank???

acrouse
03/21/2006, 05:55 PM
I have read and learned alot on this forum as a beginner, however I am now confused about adding water to my new system (water changes). The LFS and some reading materials have said it is fine to use tap water that has aged (1-2 weeks). Making sure the salinity, temp, etc. are the same before adding it to the tank. (no chemicals added). Now I'm reading these threads that say only distilled or RO/DI water is the way to go to avoid problems with algea from excess nutrients?? Is this necessary or am I setting myself up for a big disappointment by using aged tap water??

I have a 100 gallon LR, LS, no fish yet, corals in the future!

whiteshark
03/21/2006, 05:58 PM
One of the best investments I have ever made was an RO. I immediatly saw a reduction in algae and nutrients. I doubt the credibility of the "aged tap water" thing. All thats gonna happen is you might get some condensation on the lid of the container. Just my opinion.

bertoni
03/21/2006, 06:00 PM
I don't think aging tapwater that way will have any noticeable effect if your water is treated with chloramine. Aging won't ever remove various ions, etc, I want to keep out of my tank.

keithntracy
03/21/2006, 06:01 PM
i get my ro water from my lfs at $1.25 for 5 gallons....rather pay that then have probs!

acrouse
03/21/2006, 06:09 PM
What does the chloramine do to the water, fish, corals, etc.? Isn't it best to stay away from chemicals? I'm still learning and have a long way to go!

thanks again jolene

kidzatheart
03/21/2006, 06:21 PM
I think using aged tap water would be fine for a FOWLR tank, but if you are going to go reef or if you have poor city water or well water I would get an RO/DI unit. I also have read about the aged tap water and as long as you age it and keep it aerated for atleast a week it will be fine.

When I first got into saltwater all I used was tap water and never had a problem. Using the RO/DI water it is alot quicker though, of course this has been my experience.HTH

whiteshark
03/21/2006, 06:22 PM
What is the idea behind this "aged tap water" thing? I don't see how aging it can help. Am I missing something?

gnrlee
03/21/2006, 06:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7008829#post7008829 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by keithntracy
i get my ro water from my lfs at $1.25 for 5 gallons....rather pay that then have probs!

My lfs has fresh ro/di for 50 cents. Saltwater for a $1.

kidzatheart
03/21/2006, 06:45 PM
With the aging of the water you dont have to use any chemicals, its only when you use the tap water right away that you need to treat for clorine or cloramine. Like I said before I would only use this way for a FO system not a Reef.

acrouse
03/21/2006, 06:45 PM
Remember I am a beginner and doing a lot of reading before I started, however I learned about aging tap water in Robert M. Fenner's (The Conscientious Marine Aquarist) and he says that if you do not have terrible well or city water, you can age it in (ex.clean,plastic garbage can) as long as you aerate or circulate for at least a week it is safe to use! This book has been very informative as a beginner!

thanks jolene

3D-Reef
03/21/2006, 06:48 PM
If you can fit a ro/di into the budget it will pay for itself. :thumbsup:
Chloramine is a stable form of clorine put in city water to kill bacteria or organics,so when you take a drink you don't get sick.So, it has the same effect on tank inhabitants.Only a detoxifier can render it safe.(other than a ro/di)
An ro/di will also remove heavy metals.(ie.copper,lead...)
Clay

kidzatheart
03/21/2006, 06:51 PM
acrouse that is the same book I got my info. from also.

acrouse
03/21/2006, 06:52 PM
Does the ro/di have to be beside the tank? or do you just get the water out of it that you need for your tank? sorry if its a dumb question-I have not been able to find a picture to see how one is hooked up.
Thanks jolene

whiteshark
03/21/2006, 06:53 PM
Right, Clay. Thats what i'm talking about. Letting water sit around is not going to completely purify it in any way. What, if anything, would aging water get rid of???

whiteshark
03/21/2006, 06:57 PM
They hook right up to the sink. I have the "good" water line going into a rubbermaid tub that I fill and use for top off water.

here is a pic of one
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images/products/large/p_524714_19577D.jpg

Red line is waste water, blue is good water and the yellow is where you hook it up to the sink.

bertoni
03/21/2006, 06:57 PM
Chloramine is a replacement for the chlorine that formerly was used to kill bacteria, etc, and keep the tapwater disinfected until consumption. Chloramine does not outgas from the water as chlorine does, and decays into ammonia, which is toxic to fish. I wouldn't use tapwater in any kind of tank without some sort of pretreatment, unless I was sure there was no chloramine in use.

Tapwater works for some people, and causes serious problems for others. Some tapwater test results from city authorities show levels of copper that are lethal to many invertebrates. There are lots of other contaminants possible as well. I personally use only RO-DI water.

kidzatheart
03/21/2006, 07:00 PM
No the ro/di unit does not have to next to the tank. Just near a water source, I keep mine by the washer & dryer. I have heard of others that hook them up under thier kitchen sink as well.

whiteshark
03/21/2006, 07:07 PM
Mine is just setting right on the sink counter. Not the most stable set up, but it works. :)

acrouse
03/21/2006, 07:11 PM
Sorry-the book doesn't list specific elements, only that the municipal sanitizers added to your local water should not effect livestock if the water circulates for a week, if tap water has to be used right away, he suggests using a dechlorinator/dechloraminator. It sounds like he puts more emphasis on the quality of skimmer, feeding, and supplementing habits than water source..

This is only one option, thats why I have asked on this forum as a lot of people have valuable years of experience.
thanks jolene

Enjoi
03/21/2006, 07:26 PM
try http://aquaticeco.com

acrouse
03/21/2006, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the great information and pictures, the price seems right. I have read other threads about stores to get the RO/DI from and think I will be investing in one real soon! I did not realize how simple to use they were and with wanting corals in the future I think its the best bet.

Many thanks again Jolene

grupper
03/21/2006, 07:51 PM
Fenner's opinion was that the food you add to the tank will add far more nutrients to the tank then your tap water will, so don't worry about filtering it.

If your water has chlorine added to it, you need to aerate it for 24 hours to eliminate the chlorine. If it has choromine I believe you need to aerate it for about 2 weeks. You can find out from your water company what they use for your water.

YOUR MILAGE MAY VARY is the rule for using tap water. One part of town may have different quality water then another. The quality of the water may change with the seasons and your water company might make significant changes in the water withour warning you. (such as changing from chlorine to chloramine.)

The big advantage of RO/DI water is that you know exactly whats in your water when your done. With tap water your never sure. Whenever you have trouble with your tank, you will always wonder if it was because of the tap water.

I've been using tap water for my own tank, and I'm wondering it its not cheaper to filter the tap water for specific elements with rowaphos and a polyfilter instead of trying to run a RO/DI unit. You can run a tank with tap water, but you do it at your own risk.

Dastank
03/21/2006, 07:57 PM
I suggest you test the water and see whats in it and decide what to do from there. I tried to use straight tap water a few years ago but had algae trouble. To much phosphates in the tap water. Now I collect my own ocean water and (so far) it's working awesome!

spoiledcats
03/21/2006, 08:29 PM
For about 4 years, I bought RO water from retail stores, and probably paid for an RO unit 5 times over. It's definitely worth the $100-$150 or whatever you will pay for it. I've never trusted any tapwater, and never will no matter what any book says. It's just not worth the risk in my mind.

acrouse
03/21/2006, 08:33 PM
Is there a general test to find out the other particles in the water or are they all individual tests? What all do you suggest I test for, besides the basic nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, ph, salinity, and alkalinity. Bertoni and 3D Reef have mentioned lead & copper. Any other suggestions and tests would be helpful.

Thanks jolene

bjonesjr1
03/21/2006, 08:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7009916#post7009916 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dastank
Now I collect my own ocean water and (so far) it's working awesome!

Always thought if that would work, but never sure ??? I live right on the coast in florida... I just go buy the water from my LFS, I wonder if their would be anything wrong with pure ocean water

acrouse
03/21/2006, 08:38 PM
Okay-I've learned alot tonight and still need to do some researching into this water subject, but how is RO water different from RO/DI, or are they the same? one better than the other?
thanks again, just when you think you have a grasp on the new saltwater system new info arrises! Thankfully I learnt rule #1 -take it slow and research, research, research!!!

bjonesjr1
03/21/2006, 08:41 PM
Reverse Osmosis for the RO and the DI not to sure myself I just know that I top off with RO water only and pre-mix my salt into that, then I add to the tank...

whiteshark
03/21/2006, 08:46 PM
DI is a deionizing unit. More or less just purifies the water even further when added to and RO.

bjonesjr1
03/21/2006, 08:48 PM
Thanks whiteshark for clearing that up, Now I Know,

ya learn something new everyday....

grupper
03/21/2006, 09:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7010337#post7010337 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bjonesjr1
Always thought if that would work, but never sure ??? I live right on the coast in florida... I just go buy the water from my LFS, I wonder if their would be anything wrong with pure ocean water

This all depend on your definition of pure ocean water. The ocean water near the shore may have significant nutrients and polution from runoff water.

In addition, ocean water will have live things in it, both good plankton and the possibility of bad parasites. If you store the water for a while without aerating it, then all of the good organisms will die and polute the water.

spoiledcats
03/21/2006, 09:16 PM
Definitely test for phosphate, as most city water contains some amount. Also silicate.