PDA

View Full Version : Opinion please

keithntracy
03/21/2006, 08:03 PM
Ok, we started our tank about 3 weeks ago with everything you see in my stats below. Things looked good then all of a sudden, lots of brown algae. Please take a look and tell me if we are on the right track.

Started out looking like this:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f325/kanadianwannabe/IMG_1679.jpg

Now like this:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f325/kanadianwannabe/IMG_1817.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f325/kanadianwannabe/IMG_1815.jpg

Thanks for the input!!!
:thumbsup:

bertoni
03/21/2006, 08:08 PM
That looks perfectly normal for a new tank. Often, these blooms go away on their own. Some water changes might help. Cerith snails are also good for cleanup, IME. I don't know whether Turbos will eat as much of this type of microbial mess.

harrisagogetter
03/21/2006, 08:08 PM
yep the brown stuff (diatoms) will eventually go away. It may take a week or so depending on how the ammonia levels are looking.... Also having the protien skimmer will help out. I would keep going as planned and keep testing water regulary

Sk8r
03/21/2006, 08:09 PM
Yep, that's not too unusual. I'd rather have hair algae than the brown stuff, but as the tank ages, it will go away. You'll see it from time to time when the tank is stressed or undergoing adjustments. How are your nitrates/nitrites, ammonia, etc?

keithntracy
03/21/2006, 08:13 PM
All the levels are normal. I don't know them off hand but we tested today. I can post them in a bit. If the turbos aren't the best choice, what is? I guess time is the best option. :)
Thanks to all of you for your reassurance that all is normal!!

jnc914
03/21/2006, 08:16 PM
What's your lighting cycle on the tank? Does your tank get direct sunlight? An algae bloom sometimes occurs during the cycle, although I think lighting has to do with you current problem. Are you using RO/DI water?

keithntracy
03/21/2006, 08:21 PM
We have the 250 watt MH Lamp. It's on for about 12 hours. No direct sunlight. We use RO/DI. I'm thinking too much light also. But what do I know? ..lol

Dastank
03/21/2006, 09:30 PM
My newest tank did the same thing, but I was too busy to do anything about it. One day I came home and all the algae was gone. I actually questioned my wife about what she had done to it.

MCary
03/22/2006, 10:38 AM
"I'd rather have hair algae than the brown stuff"

What are you nuts?

Diatoms are not phyto- like green algae. They are actually zoo- (more animal than plant) They use silica to make their cell walls and feed on phosphate. It really doesn't matter if you use RO water or not, startups almost always start with a good diatom bloom. It only takes a few hours for your tank to go from nothing to brown. Diatoms are like a dust. They are really easy to clean from the rocks, sand and glass. Unlike cyano which form a crust or a slick and blue green algae which hold on for dear life. And unlike hair algae, almost anything eats diatoms. Astrea snails love diatoms. Get 50 astrea snails for your tank and they will clean it.

Since Diatoms grow so fast they consume alot of the available nutrients other algaes need. They are a good early algae control. And BTW, your next bloom will probably a cyano outbreak on your sand.

Good Luck

Mike

spoiledcats
03/22/2006, 10:43 AM
This is normal tank cycling stuff. It will go away.

bjonesjr1
03/22/2006, 10:46 AM
My outbreak was mainly on my sand in the middle of my tank and on some of my rocks but other than that it went away with time and water changes...

keithntracy
03/22/2006, 11:27 AM
Are astrea snails better than the turbos? What should I do with the turbos? And MCary, everything you said applies to us. It appeared in a matter of hours and we were able to reach in and brush it off.

MCary
03/22/2006, 02:23 PM
First, take heart, it will pass. Just be sure to top off with RO water. You skimmer will actually remove alot of them. That will export the nutrients they hold to the sink. Its the initiation process of reefing. LIVE WITH IT PLEDGE! Oops sorry, fraternity flashback.

I believe Turbos are diatom grazers also. And a few astrea along with your turbos won't hurt anything.

okreef98
03/22/2006, 02:33 PM
I used a few poly filters and my diatoms went away quickly.