PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to make a simple temp controller

Timothy01
03/21/2006, 10:13 PM
Is it possible to make a simple temp controller out of a thermostat(like the one you have to control your heatingg and cooling in the house.) to control your temp in the tank. was in home depot tonight getting some Pvc and happen to pass the thermostats and the idea crossed my mind. would this be possiable and has anyone ever made something like this. basiclly a poor mans temp controller

BeanAnimal
03/21/2006, 10:30 PM
Not easy to do. The thermostats you looked at have an internal metal coil and mercury switch (of analog) or a little temp sensor soldered to their circuit board. They are usually not very accurate and have a large hysterisis between "on" and "off" cyclces". This would allow your tank to fluctuate about 5 degrees between on and off.

A Ranco single stage is about $75... pretty cheap for what it does. Pretty much bullet proof, has a settable hysterisis, and a few other features.

Bean

Timothy01
03/21/2006, 11:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7011410#post7011410 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BeanAnimal
[A Ranco single stage is about $75... pretty cheap for what it does. Pretty much bullet proof, has a settable hysterisis, and a few other features.

Bean [/B]
nice never seen these units who sells them

orlenz
03/22/2006, 07:54 AM
http://diyreef.com/shop/index.php?cPath=68&osCsid=95a2de741b77be3fed6db98384dc23d2

I use the dual stage for my heater and chiller, no problems at all.

BigJPDC
03/23/2006, 06:59 AM
I've posted this before and haven't gotten much of a response - like Bean says, the thermostat component has to have some kind of water probe, and I think those are hard to find for DIY purposes.

What about the hydroset product?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=11371&N=2004+113767

From what I can tell, you can plug any non-grounded (two prong) heater into it. $38 ( I lost one on eBay for $16 once because I fell asleep and got outbid by 50 cents at 3am) seems like a steal to me.

jp

Timothy01
03/23/2006, 09:26 AM
yeah i saw that but basiclly because of my area i dont have a heating problem. i have a cooling problem. my heater only relly kicks on mybe 3 or 4 times a winter but once this summer hits i dont wanna have fans running while im at work all day( the temp may lower to low and heater will work against the fan)