PDA

View Full Version : water current in tank and bubbles

palileo
03/22/2006, 01:19 PM
in my 75 gallon tank i have 2 402 power heads and a fluval 404 pushing the water around in the tank. someone had mentioned to me that the more current the better but i just can't seem to keep the sand from blowing into dunes and into the live rock. can someone please advise me as to how much current or suggestions. i know i have too much sand in there now. i think i need to remove about 20-30 pounds of it. will i mess up the cycle in there if i start scooping away at the sand? the tank is very new, i have life on some of the rock... sponges, feather dusters, zoos, some muscles or clams wedged in the rock, starfish...

CaliforniaDreamer
03/22/2006, 02:06 PM
How old is your tank? As a tank matures (say in two or three weeks if there is live rock in the tank) the sand starts to get bacteria, worms and other life in it that tends to keep the sand in one place. If you are planning on keeping SPS's IME the amount of flow required does move the sand around some but should not create a sand storm. In one of my tanks I have very fine sand and for the first three weeks the sand moved quite a bit and would cloud the water. However now after about two months the sand stays in place and the water is crystal clear but I do still have some areas where the sand bed is “mounded” a bit. I am not familiar with the fluval 402 or 404, how many GPH are they rated for? In my 90 I have two Seio 1100's (1100 GPH) and two maxi-jet MP900's (230 GPH) on a wave maker plus the return from the sump and the flow is ok but could be more.