PDA

View Full Version : Recipe #1 Part 3A

BeanAnimal
03/22/2006, 03:33 PM
Randy,

I have attempted to mix my first batch of the new MAG additive.

3 CUPS epsom salts (swan)
5 CUPS Magflake (dead sea)
enough water to make 1 gallon

I poured both parts into about 1/2 gallon of RO/DI water and then topped off to make 1 gallon. The mixture is very milky when stirred and A LOT of the suspened stuff settles out after I let it sit (looks to be a substantial amount). I put the whole mess in a pan and heated it up (not quite to boiling) and it does not seem to have helped. I still get a very milky solution that settles to show a very significant stratifaction (about 1/4 : 3/4 ratio)

Thoughts?

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/23/2006, 06:24 AM
There is apparently some sediment that can form when the MAG Flake is mixed with the Epsom salts, even if both fully dissolve. I'm not sure what it is, but I'd just ignore it. Most of the main materials are dissolved. It may just be some magnesium hydroxide.

There is a thread around on that topic,and I'll try to find it later today. :)

BeanAnimal
03/24/2006, 12:04 PM
Shall I filter or decant this stuff off? or just shake the solution up to form a homegenous cloud each time I dose it?

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/24/2006, 01:10 PM
I'd just leave it as a solid on the bottom, but stirring it up is probably OK too.

BeanAnimal
03/24/2006, 01:14 PM
my container "pours" from the bottom... gravity style.

Has everybody had this "stuff" settle out, or am I just unlucky :)

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/24/2006, 01:17 PM
Some others have had it, yes. Not sure what it is. I'd just pour away. Let me know if it appears to not dissolve in the tank. :)

BeanAnimal
03/24/2006, 01:44 PM
I will try another brand of epsom salts next time and let you know if that makes a difference. I will also make a batch and change the way I mix the stuff. Instead of pouring in both dry ingredients, I will disolve one in water, then the other and mix the two solution together.

Thanks
Randy

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/24/2006, 02:40 PM
Folks that have dissolved the two separately have found a precipitate on mixing. I just can't understand what it might be. Let us know if that is what you find.

BeanAnimal
03/24/2006, 03:16 PM
Would there be any kind of binder -OR- anti floculant put into the epsom salts or magflake? The bag says "U.S.P." on it as well (like many other pharmecticals).

When I was a kid, the epsoms salts were always as solid as a rock and came in a "milk carton". This may have simply been due to the fact that once opened the "milk carton" didn't keep the moisture out. The stuff I purchased the other day did not have a single lump in it... has laid open for a week and still has no lumps in it.

Bean

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/25/2006, 08:22 AM
It is possible that there are other ingredients not listed, but I think it somewhat unlikely. More likely are incompatible impurities of some sort.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/26/2006, 07:40 AM
I was talking to Greg Hiller yesterday and he pointed out that the precipitate might be calcium sulfate, with the calcium in the MAG flake and the sulfate from the Epsom salts. If so, it is no concern. I'll try a little experiment in the next few days to see if that is it. :)

BeanAnimal
03/26/2006, 09:42 AM
Thanks randy. I have a "jar" of hte stuff if you want me to do anything with it. I can mail it or "test" it if you can give me a procedure.

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/26/2006, 12:27 PM
Do you have any Dowflake? if so, dissolve a tad in some water (a small amount) and add it to a clear portion of the mix or just Epsom salts in water, and see if it gets cloudy.

BeanAnimal
03/26/2006, 07:30 PM
Will do this evening...