PDA

View Full Version : What is this in my finger leather coral?

Scatcat
03/22/2006, 05:54 PM
Ok I noticed my finger leather is looking bad not opening up and not good. I got to looking today and this is what I find. What is that? It looks like a feather duster tube and is attached I tried to suck it off with a turkey baster but it's stuck. I had a feather duster die I'm now wondering if it just relocated in my coral.

Here is the best picture I could get. It's not moving whatever it is. What should I do? I know the pict is bad it's the best I can do with provided equipment.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/94872fingercoral.jpg

Paintbug
03/22/2006, 06:37 PM
i cant see much of anything from the pic. but do you ever see anything come out from the tube?

cone9
03/22/2006, 06:48 PM
I can't see anything in the pic either, but from your description look up Vermatid Snail

Scatcat
03/22/2006, 07:23 PM
There is nothing coming out from what I can tell. I don't know about the snail it doesn't look like it but I can't tell.

cone9
03/22/2006, 07:27 PM
A Vermatid Snail will cast mucous threads into the water column to collect food. If it's dead you just see an empty tube.

Scatcat
03/22/2006, 09:09 PM
It's strange it's pretty big, and wasn't there before my water change a couple of days ago. I would have seen it when I blow the junk off my corals. No mucus either.