PDA

View Full Version : How do I handle and transfer a Anemone

mbetz
03/22/2006, 07:55 PM
Hi,

I am getting an Anemone from a friend and would like to know how to transfer it from his tank to mine.

I think it is a pink tipped anemone it helps.

Thanks for all of your help in advance.

Mark

ReefNeck
03/22/2006, 07:58 PM
Ummm, In a fish bag? A Bucket of Tank water from his tank? And unless you have allergies, With your hands. I handle them all the time.

dantodd
03/22/2006, 08:38 PM
A basic drip acclimation is usually adequate. Also look up the husbandry requirements in the Anemone FAQ at the top of this forum it will help you determine if your tank and lighting are appropriate for your specimen.

TOURKID
03/22/2006, 08:43 PM
if its not attached to anything (a rock) then hold it gently by the foot and try to touch it least amount possible when moving it from his tank to bag to your tank...

Sk8r
03/23/2006, 12:25 AM
Get a big enough bag. If you can get it to float, just open the mouth of the bag wide, with the cut-edge folded outside so it won't contact the anemone, and nudge it gently into the opening. Give it plenty of water and transport it quickly: don't keep an anemone sitting in a bag any longer than necessary to drip-acclimate it: they can let loose some pretty nasty chemicals and haven't a brain to let them understand it's all the water they've got...

mbetz
03/23/2006, 07:52 AM
The anemone is attached to a rock. What is the best method to get it off of the rock?

ReefNeck
03/23/2006, 07:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7021308#post7021308 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mbetz
The anemone is attached to a rock. What is the best method to get it off of the rock?

Be careful doing that. If he/she is not willing to give you the rock too the best way without hurting the anemone is to point a powerhead at it untill it moves off the rock itself. Might take a little while but that way you wont hurt it.

Sorry about my first post.....I guess it sounded sarcastic. I didn't understand what you were asking really then. Didn't mean to come across the way I did.

cmhollis
03/23/2006, 02:51 PM
Others have had luck with massaging the foot with a RO/DI ice cube. I haven't tried this personally, but I have read on this forum that it has worked for others.

Mike

TOURKID
03/23/2006, 03:51 PM
I pointed a powerhead at mine all day yesterday and it dident budge until the lights went off...