PDA

View Full Version : S.o.s.

claudiabkr
03/22/2006, 09:39 PM
I just found that my 2 year old dumped a black magic marker and a bunch of tissue into my 15 gal nano reef! I've done a 5 gal water change and am mixing another 5 gals as I type. The fish look fine, but all the corals have closed or shrunk in size.

Will the water changes be enough to save them, or is it already too late.
Claudia

reefin'aggie
03/22/2006, 09:45 PM
Dumped the ink from the marker into it? or just threw the marker in? Was the tissue paper scented? Lotion? etc? I would start running mass carbon and try to get as much of the tissue out ASAP. Water changes=good, but can also have ill effects b/c of instability. But, the tradeoff is that the contaminates remain in the tank if not diluted by the water changes.

Good Luck and keep us posted,
Jacob

reefin'aggie
03/22/2006, 09:46 PM
Oh, and is there any way you can relocate the livestock to another holding tank?

Jacob

Sk8r
03/23/2006, 12:14 AM
Possible remedies: carbon, polypads (pull chemicals out)---you can cut the stuff to fit your size. The corals have defenses and may slime up, which may challenge the tank too: carbon and a skimmer may help that. Sympathies.

chocolateblnt
03/23/2006, 01:25 AM
Was it a toxic marker? I second running carbon and metal removing polypads for the marker.

If the tissue had aloe vera I wouldn't worry because aloe vera is found in stress coat ;)