PDA

View Full Version : Seawater Level of Magnesium

Blinkgyrl2987
03/23/2006, 09:32 AM
I want to make sure I'm using the best salt with the correct amount of magnesium... but I dont know what the correct amount is.... currently I dont have a test but I'm picking one up soon.
I have read that decreased amount of magnesium will make it hard to keep the calcium level up and buffering ability.

Lately I have been having trouble with PH. But Kent Marine Buffer And Calcium Parts A and B... have been helping to keep it up.... just want to check out this magnesium thing to make sure thats not the reason why I keep having to add things to fix the PH... Any help would be good! Whenever I do a water change the PH gets set right... but the next day I test and the PH has always come back down.:(

Nanook
03/23/2006, 09:48 AM
Here is a good article by Randy:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/oct2003/chem.htm

Blinkgyrl2987
03/23/2006, 10:01 AM
Oh I am so confused... But its okay I think I'll get it... The only thing so uninteresting about that article is that i am so bad at Chemistry.. some I really get.. other parts .. I'm still working on... but thanx I think I need to read more carefully.

Nanook
03/23/2006, 10:05 AM
Hmmm, what are your tank parameters:

PH, alkalinity, calcium, specific gravity, any ammonia, nitrite or nitrates?

How old is the tank? What kind of ph meter is it...what time of day are you measuring?

Blinkgyrl2987
03/23/2006, 10:36 AM
PH right now about 8.0-8.1 because I added the Buffer.... But earlier when I tested this morning it was lower like 7.8- 7.9

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
SAlinity 1.022- 1.023
alk and Calcium I havent tested yet.

And its the same in my larger tank. both I did large water changes to yesterday and after the water change they were perfect... this morning.. both tanks... PH's 7.8- 7.9

Blinkgyrl2987
03/23/2006, 10:39 AM
20L is about 3 years old.... the 46 gallon is newer about a year.. the PH tests I'm doing with 2 separate kits.. both Aquarium Pharmaceutical brands though using drops in a test tube... maybe I need a better brand

Nanook
03/23/2006, 10:52 AM
OK, it looks like you might want to invest in a PH meter...Pinpoint and Milwaukee both make nice units. They run on sale sometimes if you watch the online stores.

Calcium and alkalinity test kits are a must for reef tanks. If your alkalinity is too low, your buffering capacity will be lessened, ie: leads to ph swings.

If you are low on alkalinity and calcium, that will help get things with the ph balanced. I would definitely get a ph meter and calibrate it...I don't trust those little kits at all. Also, using a refractometer instead of a hydrometer for measuring specific gravity would be wise...another worthwhile investment.

I would raise your specific gravity to 1.025-1.026 like the oceans.

dave

rdmpe
03/23/2006, 11:06 AM
I agree, invest in salifert kits for Ca, Alk, Mg. They can be had online for approx. $15-$16 each. Once you get the kits and get these parameters in line, your PH will come more in line I bet. Dose the two part at night when the PH will normally drop anyway, and that will help boost the PH overnight.

Lots of good info on this stuff in the chemestry forum - check it out.

Blinkgyrl2987
03/23/2006, 04:35 PM
Ok PH meter, refractometer, and salifert kits for Ca, Alk, and Mg.

What is the benifit of the higher salinity? For Corals its good I know but as far as fish they always seem to stress out on me... The place I get my fish from keeps the salinity at like 1.020.... so when I have it higher its more dificult to acclimate the fish. Is their a link between high salinity and disease... I dont know why the fish store keeps theirs so low. But my fish always seem to act better when its a lil lower. I used to keep it up their towards 1.025.. and I dont really know why I decided to bring it down slowly... any thoughts let me know. Just curious

Nanook
03/23/2006, 05:01 PM
Fish stores keep the specific gravity low for a couple of reasons. One, it saves money on salt mix. Two, lower salinity does help contain certain diseases (I believe...but not 100% sure on).

Natural seawater is where the fish are collected from and designed by The Creator to live in...natural seawater is 1.025-1.027 specific gravity.

Acclimation takes a little longer, yes.

dave

StinkinTuna
03/23/2006, 06:08 PM
I always recommend this article about parameters, It always helps me anyways.... its an RK article, hope it helps:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php