PDA

View Full Version : Tank mate for clown trigger

sidneybrooksjr
03/23/2006, 11:08 AM
i'm new to this forum and fairly new to the hobby.does anyone have any sugg on compat tank mate for a juvi clown trigger 1" in fowlr 46 bow...

thanks

sruiz
03/23/2006, 11:13 AM
When I told the guy at the LFS about getting a puffer, he told me the trigger was a good fish to have as a tank buddy.

Z-ReefKeeper
03/23/2006, 11:33 AM
[welcome]

First off you will need to get that fish a bigger tank. Clown Triggers get big. Also they can be very aggressive. If you are going to upgrade the tank I would say you could add a Tang or an Angelfish with that guy. But you would have to have a much larger tank.

sidneybrooksjr
03/23/2006, 11:49 AM
Thanks, guys. I plan on buying a 125 reef ready by midsummer. Do you think that that will be to late? how fast will the trigger grow?

Z-ReefKeeper
03/23/2006, 11:56 AM
You should be fine. With a tank that size (the 125) you have many options as far as the different fish you will be able to keep. Just do as much research as you can. I would look into a Powder Blue Tang when your tank is established.

Blown 346
03/23/2006, 12:56 PM
I had a my Clown Trigger with a Niger Trigger, Picasso trigger and a Miniatus Grouper in a 125. They all got along fine. You are going to have to get aggressive fish, as they grow and become more mature they get more aggressive. I can barely put my hand in my tank to clean or to even feed them without having the risk of getting bit.
But all my fish are now about 10 to 12 inches long.

Johnsteph10
03/23/2006, 01:08 PM
A Powder Blue Tang is a beautiful fish but for advanced aquarists only as they are extremely prone to getting ick in the home aquarium among other problems.

I would hold off getting ANY other fish for your clown trigger until you have a bigger tank. I hear this all the time and it never happens. Perhaps getting more fish will be the reason to get a bigger tank.

Until then...be patient and enjoy your trigger. They are curious, intelligent, and beautiful. :)

ledford1
03/23/2006, 01:25 PM
A 125 is a minimum for an adult Clown Trigger IMO - they grow to be a big fish. If you could bump up to a 150 or even better a 180, I think you'll be better off.

The larger tanks would be better for the CT, asnd would also open up more possibilities for tankmates, such as a puffer, large angel, and a tang or two. You'll want tankmates that are also large and at least semi-aggressive so they can hold their own against the CT.

:reading: So just keep researching what you would like and what the possibilities are.

Good luck.