PDA

View Full Version : Flatworm exit ... dangerous to snails?!

Vincerama2
03/23/2006, 06:37 PM
I dosed my 58+20g system last night (and changed 10% water and ran carbon after). I had vacuumed as many flatworms as I could get for 3 days. The second I dosed the FWE, many of them went belly up, but all my cerith snails also let go of the tank glass and fell down and hid in their shells!

My astraea, Mexi-turbos and strombus (as well as most pods/worms) seemed a bit disturbed, but not as bad as the cerith snails (which, as of this morning didn't look quite dead, but could be).

I don't know what's in it, but the certith snails seem particularly disturbed by it. And yes, I followed the directions on the bottle.

Just a warning that you might want to pull your (dollar a piece) ceriths out of the tank before dosing.

I'm not sure if it's the FWE or the dying FW juice that bugged them, but they fell off the glass so fast, I'm guessing it was the FWE.

Just an FYI.

V

Mikey Donuts
09/03/2007, 07:44 PM
I dosed my tank with FWE yesterday to get rid of Zoa eating nudis, and I'm noticing the same thing. Everything looks good except the ceriths which all look like they're dying. All other water parameters are good. The ceriths looked great for two weeks and some have been been with me for four months or so. All of the other species of snails are fine.

Anyone else??

musashi666
09/03/2007, 08:44 PM
I've been forced to use FWE several times before. Each time I use it I noticed that all of my micro-stars instantly started to die off.

I don't know if it was the toxins that the flatworms leeched out or if it was the FWE.

Just an observation.