PDA

View Full Version : How to improve relations with local stores?

MyMonkey
03/24/2006, 09:27 AM
As requested. Chime in while you can. Reference "Interested to know why" thread below.

dugg
03/24/2006, 10:48 AM
I would like to hear from an RC staff member, as to what the policy would be for posting store list and or store of the month spotlight sticky threads. I am not suggesting that there be any advertisement involved in either thread, just a list of supporting local stores, and a spotlight, that only shows what a store has to offer the hobby. (no prices or sales material, just a show of what they have or new additions) After all, while no money is changing hands here for the threads, it does support the community that supports RC right?

pwhitby
03/24/2006, 10:50 AM
Its not allowed Dugg. A list of stores can be posted, but thats already dealt with on our website, together with maps and hours of opening, websites and email.

Travis L. Stevens
03/24/2006, 10:54 AM
dugg, I'm afraid Paul is correct. We already went through this in the OMAS forum along with a little RC Mod referee-ing. Sorry that I don't have a link. But to just put it simple, you just can't do that per User Agreement acceptance.

pwhitby
03/24/2006, 11:13 AM
Thats why we incorporated it in to the website.

dugg
03/24/2006, 11:14 AM
I understand the no advertising policy, but can the club not post an article spotlighting the LFS that has the newest setups or equipment, or who has supported the hobby the most in the past month or quarter even. Kind of like the tank of the month thread that RC does. No replies allowed on the thread, just pictures and an article posted by the club, not the store.

As far as having the store list on the COMAS site, that is good, but there really should be a sponsoring store list on RC. There is thousands more people on here then will ever visit the COMAS site. I bet i have seen over 500 post from all over RC, where people planning to visit an area are looking for local stores that they can visit while in town. This would be an equally good resource for both the RC members, and the stores. Maybe Paul could put on his Mermaid costume and do some negotiating with RC :) ???

pwhitby
03/24/2006, 11:18 AM
It falls under the category of advertising, though it could be incorporated into the website.

Travis L. Stevens
03/24/2006, 11:25 AM
About the only advertising that can be done on RC this way is a word of mouth like situation. When a non-commercial member says "Hey, so-and-so just got in a nice shipment of stuff". If a commercially affiliated user says the same thing, it is considered advertisement. It might even be considered advertisment if So-and-so says that what's-his-name has got a shipment in becase they are both commercially affiliated. The use of a thread that shows all the stores is acceptable, and like Paul said, we have it on our site. But to spotlight them would show favoritism and be considered advertisement regardless of if there is equal amounts of spotlighting.

For what it's worth, it sounds like an AWESOME idea and I'm definitely all for it, but I really don't think it's feesable with the User Agreement :sad1: I would suggest we do it on the website, but that would be a lot of work and a lot of maintenance.

MyMonkey
03/24/2006, 11:28 AM
I like the list on our website. However, I just noticed we don't have a link to the COMAS site in our stickys. I thought it was there before. Maybe we could simply add that?

pwhitby
03/24/2006, 01:24 PM
The link to the comas site is in the forum description.

The stickys need to be updated and I have that on my list of things to do

SeanF
03/25/2006, 01:07 AM
There is probably a way around the rule on this one. I am sure someone from Reef Central will love circumvention of the rules but I believe you can post a link to the website where the featured store would be. It would just be the same as posting about the awesome map feature on the website.

captbunzo
03/26/2006, 08:44 PM
I think a sticky post about the website would be reasonable that not only listed the address, but links to some common useful sections, like the store locator map page. I don't think this would violate the RC agreement, as long as we don't list specific stores in the post.

pwhitby
03/26/2006, 10:31 PM
I have spoken with one of the moderators, we can post a list of LFS. I will get that done soon and get a sticky applied. I will rewrite one of the club info stickies thats already there.

Paul.

dugg
03/27/2006, 08:32 AM
I knew if you put on that mermaid outfit and a smile RC would see it your way. Good job Paul.

The information that goes on RC should be for COMAS sponsors only IMO. All others should be on the COMAS web site only.

I am still waiting to hear from some of the store owners, as to what the club can do to help make it a better deal for them to sponsor the club. So far we have a store list on a world wide forum, and vouchers for a free one year COMAS membership for high end complete system purchases. Sounds like a really good start to me. Some input from the store owners would be good at this point.

captbunzo
03/27/2006, 09:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7048903#post7048903 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pwhitby
I have spoken with one of the moderators, we can post a list of LFS. I will get that done soon and get a sticky applied. I will rewrite one of the club info stickies thats already there.

My only concern here is that of duplicate information between the stores listed here and on the website. Also, it's easier to update the website then a post here.

I'd still prefer sticky post with a link to the lfs page on the website. It should mention how stores are broken up into different groups on the map page, etc.

Just my two cents. :)