PDA

View Full Version : MH Upgrade Choice for 75 gallon PLEASE HELP

complexbooger
03/24/2006, 03:12 PM
I want to keep all types of coral. Im not sure of the brand of bulb, and the wattage. Also i would like to use pendant lights. Im open to Mongul Base or Double ended, or even a easy to use retrofit (i love the looks of the spider reflectors.) Im not concerned about heat, or power consumption (i live in a all paid for Apt., and im not scared to bring up the electric bill.)

I was looking at the 250w Aqua medic pendants. They are nice and sleek. I really dont want to use more than $260 or so bucks per lamp, but if its a must, then I will look into it.

Can you guys help me out with a site with low prices, and some brands that are dependable and at the same time Easy on the eyes.

I thank you all in advance and would appreciate your help.

Thanks everyone

-Animal

dwdenny
03/24/2006, 03:23 PM
Well if you go retro I would use something other then the spider as there are better reflectors like the PFO Optimal reflector. I think two 250w DE with pheonix bulbs in reef optic III reflectors would do a good jod and would look great.

complexbooger
03/24/2006, 03:38 PM
lol i love watching the Views go up by the minute... and the reply go up just by one.

Thanks dwdenny, DE is that brand? Is there a site i can go to to get these items?

dwdenny
03/24/2006, 04:43 PM
DE is double ended and SE is single ended. Phoenix is the brand. I would look at www.reefgeek.com the best price I have found. Just remember that a DE bulb will not go into a SE fixture. the best DE pendant is probably the ROIII( ReefOptix III) can be found on reefgeek.com as well.

complexbooger
03/24/2006, 11:56 PM
40 views... anyone else with opinions?
I would like to get some type of light by next week.
Any help is appreciated.
thank you

complexbooger
03/25/2006, 09:38 AM
62 Views? c'mon i know theres someone with MH. Can anyone help me?

Thank you.

horkn
03/25/2006, 10:00 AM
i placed a reply before, but somehow its gone now...

2x175 se, or 2x150 DE, or 2x250 se or DE would do great.

or you could plan what i am planning, 1x400 DE with 4x54 t5ho in the center of my soon to be set up 90, removing the centerbrace and adding euro bracing....

complexbooger
03/25/2006, 10:28 AM
Thanks a lot Horkn.

How do i go about making a Euro brace? I would really love to take that center brace out, it makes everything so ugly! I dont think i have space for all that nor the expense.

How would i do the place "Your" lighting, 2x t5's in front, MH , then 2more t5s? are they 48" inch each? i would love to use T5 for Supplement lighting. what spectrum would they be?

I need more help with brand names also. So besides Reef Optix and Aqua Medic, which is another good system.

I dont mind on doing a lil hands on work with the lighting( im not making a canopy though) But wiring is not a problem. Any Good retrofit lighting that is easy on my Wallet?

I want to try and stick to 2x 250w. Is there a difference between DE and SE? Im guessing more light with SE? Any help or opinions would help greatly.

Thank you
~Animal

bjdrake
03/25/2006, 10:36 AM
Have you considered the Aqua Medic 48 inch hoods as well? There are many bulb configurations to choose from. The 2x250 13k model would come in at or under your price range. If you look you may be able to find one with supplementation in 20K MH, T5 or PCs. I have the 72 inch Ocean Light Sexy over my 125 and it has been a great fixture, sleek looking too. I was looking at the 48 with 2x250 10K and 1x 150 20K but decide to upgrade my tank as well. If you are into the actinic look you may be disappointed with 10K lamps and 20K supplementation. On the other hand fluorescent bulbs of any type IMO tend to somewhat negate the effect of pinpoint lamps by blurring those beautiful shimmer lines. Keep in mind that the AB 10k bulbs may be too yellow without actinics and the 13k models seem to be on backorder more often. I have seen the 13K model over a tank and the color was to my liking.

I might as well bring up the noise issue with magnetic ballast lamps before someone else does. I think they produce stronger lighting than their electronic counterparts and are considered to be more reliable. The down side, because you know there just has to be one, is a slight audible hum. It doesn’t bother me because my remote ballast is in the kitchen closet and the tank is in the living room. In an apartment you may not have the ability to route the cabling through a wall. In my case there are 5 lamps so I think that the noise would be minimal with only two.

Sorry that was long, but you asked for it.:)
Now let the flame wars begin.

dwdenny
03/25/2006, 10:37 AM
If your not making a canopy then your stuck with a fixture. There is a little difference in DE and SE one the bulbs are smaller on DE and sense they are small can have a little better reflector behind them (ie ROIII) on the SE the best in is the Diamond light from PGS(www.pacificgardensupply.com) from what I have seen for sanjyas work. Aquamedic has a great little pendant that has T5 and MH DE that will work. Retrofit wont be an option as your not putting inside a canopy. HTH

I guess I wasn't much of any help then.lol

bjdrake
03/25/2006, 10:58 AM
Sorry wrong thread.

complexbooger
03/25/2006, 11:29 AM
Any opinion is help. Im at work so i cant read everything right now, but looking foward to getting to it when i get out. Thanks for everyones help. If you have any opinion or help please feel free to Reply.

TIA
-Animal

vishboy
03/25/2006, 11:36 AM
Have you looked at the lumenarc refectors. They look pretty cool on their own, so you dont have to make a hood for them. The only problem is that they a SE, so if you want DE they are out of the picture.

vishboy

complexbooger
03/26/2006, 06:21 AM
well i guess this is where the threat ends...
thanks to the ppl who helped.
wished more ppl could have gave me some advice.
Im still open to opinions.
Ill keep you guys updated with what i decide in the end

thanks