PDA

View Full Version : RO DI set up

theroon
03/25/2006, 07:26 AM
I am in the planning stages to set up a 180 gallon reef tank. I want to set up a ro/di sytem for water changes. I made the following figure and was wondering if this is correct. I am looking at purchasing a Typhoon II with the Autotop off feature. I will have two float valves to control flow for the mixing tank and sump. How does this look?

Simply, the tank evaporates water the float valve will turn on and RO/DI water will top off the sump. When the sump is full, the float valve will turn of and the Typhoon III Autotop feature will turn off the system.

Many systems have two tanks, where one is a holding tank for RO/DI and the other is for mixxing RO/DI and salt. I would like to save space and I think this system is very simple.

http://sprunger.smugmug.com/photos/61401886-L.jpg

Spuds725
03/25/2006, 08:33 AM
I believe float valves aren't recommended for auto top off--

From what I've read, a better alternative is dual float switches controlling a solenoid operated valve (dual for redundancy)--

I'm sure someone will come along with better advice (and who has actually plumbed in an auto top off)...

theroon
03/25/2006, 09:00 AM
i thought about placing float switches controlling a solenoid valve for emergency above the pressure float valves in the picture. The Solenoid will shut off the Typhoon III electricity if the float valves fails. Does this sound like a good plan?

Rene

waverz
03/25/2006, 09:04 AM
Ive had a float valve doing my top offs in my 125 for 2 years now and no problems, i have heard fo them stiucking and flooding but my RO only does 50 gpd so im sure i would catch it before it got too bad. IMO its a good way to keep the tank topped off but it does have some risk involved.

vessxpress1
03/25/2006, 09:25 AM
Check out aquahub.com. I'm looking at doing the same thing as you soon. I may go with one of their kits. They also have a lot of good info. I learned a lot at that site. You want to wire it up with a relay (they show you how) so when the pump kicks in, it can't surge back to the float and burn the contacts together in the on position. The relay would be your protection, with a 9v dc in line.