PDA

View Full Version : new skimmer

twins6511
03/25/2006, 09:44 AM
Randy,I value your opinion very highly and would love to know what HOB skimmer i should get for my 45 gallon reef tank?I currently have a CPR bakpak which is not doing its job.It is just pulling out green water no matter how i adjust it .Please help me.My fish load is ;1pj cardinal,1 clown goby,4 blue chromis,1gramma,1 possum wrasse,and various hard and soft corals.I have been fighting algae problems.i am currently using distilled walmart water for water changes as i cant afford a ro-di sysytem. Thank You for your time,Randy

steve the plumb
03/25/2006, 12:57 PM
I would invest in a r/o unit at least a less expensive one.You don't have to buy the most expensive r/o unit.I am using a crappy coralife 10 gal per day unit on my 150 gal tank.I change the fileters once a year.I have a tds of zero.I just bought a tds meter a month ago.I find it was worth the money.This way you can have an idea as to when to change filters.If you want a very good skimmer the Detlec is great.I have the mce 600 on my tank.Works like a charm but its pricy.The coralife super skimmer does a good job.If you are looking for a cheaper skimmer that works well its something to look into.I have one in my sump I was running it alone and I just picked up the deltec.I had a remora pro.It never picked up tons of skimmate.The super skimmer worked better than the remora.The deltec works better than both my other skimmers but its not cheap.I would spend the extra cash and get the deltec you won't go wrong.You will get a skimmer that performs

Randy Holmes-Farley
03/25/2006, 02:19 PM
Sorry, I don't really have much experience in HOB skimmers. I have a Seaclone 150(?) that I won in a raffle, but I don't use it at the moment.
Anyone else have suggestions?

It is just pulling out green water

As opposed to what? A thicker material?

andycook
03/25/2006, 05:11 PM
If you can't afford a ro-di unit, how are you going to afford a better skimmer?

Which pump do you have on the skimmer? I was happier with my CPR when I upgraded the pump size (from rio 600 to rio 800). You might also clean the pump weekly. The skimmer works better with fine control of the air flow.

twins6511
03/26/2006, 06:12 AM
I just switched it to a rio 800 and also put clear airline tubing on it so i could see the airflow .

bertoni
03/26/2006, 11:24 PM
You can also try adding a limewood airstone to it. The cprusa.com web site has information on the modification. I just snaked some air-line through the skimmer and weighted the airstone down by running the line through a bit of acrylic tubing.