PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about a club newsletter

mskohl
03/25/2006, 12:34 PM
I was thinking about trying to start up a club newsletter. Just a 2-3 page product that could be distributed through the mail and through the LFS's. I initally was trying to figure out a way to help advertise and give something back to the stores that support the club in various ways. Here are some brainstorming ideas:

POTM write up
TOTM write up
expert article from book/dvd/website (with proper credits of course)
quick Q&A's (maybe from RC, just member thoughts, or FAQ's at LFS's - stuff like cyano info, how to remove hair algae, etc)
UCO tank update/ meeting host's tank(s) explanation
meeting minutes
calendar
List of LFSs and addresses
***please help with content ideas***

LFS's
-include info about when new shipments are expected
-sale items/ specials
-ad of their choice
-coupons

This LFS could possibly correlate with the store sponsoring the POTM. They could hand out the newsletters to customers or possibly share in the cost of production.

I know I need a lot more info/research, but I want to throw the idea out and see what happens. I haven't yet checked into the cost of production or mailing, but plan to if there is enough interest. I'll get a sample of the paper and get a weight and postage cost. I'm thinking a large piece of paper folded (maybe 11x14 - I'm not good with imagining sizes) with an insert that can be saved with the store info on one side and the calendar or article on the other.

What do you think?

2ras
03/25/2006, 05:05 PM
Stephanie,

I was the editor for the TMR Gazette (a civil war reenacting group) for ~8 years. If you start this, just be prepared that no one might pick it up when you stop. When I "retired" as editor, it ran for another year then died.
It is a good idea tho. You could set it up as an email type newsletter to cut down the cost.

As far as ideas, you got most of them listed (at least all the ones I'm interested in).

Ray