PDA

View Full Version : PVC glue in tank?

Fairytail
03/25/2006, 01:34 PM
We are undertaking a DIY project. We have a powerhead that we are wanting to attach a lanth of pvc tube to, with holes and an endcap to make a spraybar.

Here is the debate, he says the pvc glue won't harm the fish. I say the chemical might leach into the water. I suggusted silicone to seal the pipe into the powerhead, and the endcap.

Can anybody clear this up for us?

tehon3299
03/25/2006, 01:38 PM
I have used PVC primer/cement in my freshwater tank with no problems. I think if the primer/cement is food safe for humans to use then it should be fine for fish.

JHemdal
03/25/2006, 01:40 PM
Properly cured, PVC cement is perfectly safe for fish (my home's plumbing is put together with it). My concern would be if the cement is compatible with the plastic of the powerhead. PVC cement works by softening the PVC and then bonding it together - so it does not work on incompatible plastics as it is not a glue per se. I'm usually not happy with silicone as a bonding agent - tends to let go to easily. What about quick cure epoxy?

JHemdal

Subrafta
03/25/2006, 03:55 PM
I second JHemdal -- use the right epoxy and let it fully cure before adding to the tank unless the powerhead manufacturer recommends using PVC glue on their product.