PDA

View Full Version : anti siphon holes??

mr pink floyd
03/25/2006, 06:49 PM
can i drill an anti siphon hole in my return, the only check valve ican get is from www.marinedepot.com, its 16 bucks, with same amount shipping, and a week away.

IF i drill holes on a 90 that goes above the tank, will water squirt out?

can i put airtubing inside to stop squirting?

thanks in advance

~Mike

danferd2002
03/25/2006, 07:27 PM
yes you should drill anti siphon holes, dont rely on check valves. I personally would drill them right below the surface of the water. Because water will come out, also make sure you dont drill them too far down because you might overflow your sump.

HartfordWhalers
03/25/2006, 08:26 PM
this is Pink floyd at friends house, wait, drill holes below surface of sump, or tank?

im guessing tank

roons
03/25/2006, 09:42 PM
drill holes in 90 of return about an inch above water line, yeah water will squirt out a little , till some algae grows on it , then it will just trickle, has worked for me for 2 years......................ummmmm , your return is under water right? i see you say the 90 is above tank, if its not under water you dont need to drill any hole of course

prugs
03/25/2006, 09:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7040646#post7040646 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mr pink floyd
can i drill an anti siphon hole in my return, the only check valve ican get is from www.marinedepot.com, its 16 bucks, with same amount shipping, and a week away.

IF i drill holes on a 90 that goes above the tank, will water squirt out?

can i put airtubing inside to stop squirting?

thanks in advance

~Mike

OK lets clear somethings up.
When your tank is full & running, mark the waterline on your return lines. Then drill a hole as close to, but below the water line you had drawn on the return lines. If you can angle the hole down towards the bottom of the tank, that will prevent splashing.
Oh yeah, 3/16" diameter hole for starters.

mr pink floyd
03/25/2006, 10:08 PM
ok my setup is 1 inch PVC coming off a mag 7, it Ts off into 2 1 inch pipes that go to each corner of tank, i made a U shape out of 2 90 degree elbows so i can hang on the tank, then its 2 inches of PVC and another 90 pointing to fron glass on each one, ill post a pic later, ill drill the hole in the small area of piping showing which will be under water, ill drill one in both spots, ill post a picjk with what im goign to do later, i understand now

thansk for the help!~

roons
03/26/2006, 06:38 AM
my way you dont draw back any water, hope you calculated sump correctly

mr pink floyd
03/26/2006, 07:10 AM
__
__| |
|
|

the part on the left goes in the tank water, i drilled the whole right above the 90 that is aiming at ther front glass, it is below water level, if level drops about idk 1/2-1 inch water will squirt out, and if the pupm fails, it will suck abotu 1/2 gallon-gallon out, ive got room in my sump for it, thanks for the help

sarduci
03/26/2006, 07:32 AM
You ALWAYS get some water dropping back to the sump, the return plumbing will drain back into the sump, and depending how big/much pipe you have, it could be 5 to 10 gallons for some people easy if it's a remote sump.

Also, you should really look at putting a few holes on the return line. If the one you made clogs, it'll drain until it sucks air from the bottom of the pipe.

mr pink floyd
03/26/2006, 09:54 AM
i haev 2 holes, one on each opening into the tank, they are about 1 inch below the surface, its a 10 gallon sump, with about 7 gallons in it when running, the air will slow down the siphon for a second of two, then stop it, it will only be about 2 gallons if both holes fail.