PDA

View Full Version : Tank size for a pair of A. polymnus

ACBlinky
03/25/2006, 09:16 PM
I'm setting up a tank for my nasty little pair of saddlebacks, it will be a FO system just for them with no other fish, just a few hermits and snails to keep things clean. Space is at a premium in our apartment, so we'd like to keep the footprint 12" x 24" if possible. That leaves us with three options: a 20g, 25g 'tall' or 30g 'extra tall'. Would the pair be okay in a 20g or is it worth the expense to get the 25g or 30g to give them the extra water volume?

traveller7
03/25/2006, 09:44 PM
Extra water volume is fine in a sump....IME the saddles would prefer floor space vs height.

I prefer a 36"Lx18"W as a minimum to reduce the damage the occassional dash inflicts. Keep in mind 4" A. polymnus is a likely size and they can be pretty rough on each other in tight quarters.

Good luck.

ACBlinky
03/25/2006, 10:25 PM
I know you're absolutely right. I guess bigger is almost always better, I figured it might be tight keeping it to 12" x 24". They're in a 65g with a 36" x 18" footprint ATM and don't use the entire tank, so I was hoping they'd be okay with a reduced tank size (especially since they'd be alone). They're about 2" and 2.5" right now, and mean little buggers. If I don't get them out, they're going to kill my sand-sifters; for some reason, the side of the tank they prefer happens to be the one where the gobies built their cave. I guess I'll give it a go and hope for the best. If it comes to it, I have a friend who would probably be happy to take them, but I'd be sad to give them up.