PDA

View Full Version : Salt?

Squidhead
03/25/2006, 08:55 PM
From what I've read most people use "instant ocean" salt. I am going to use RO/DI water and a good salt. My questions are: Should I use the "instant ocean" or "reef crystals"? Is that all I need to add to the water? I am just setting up my first salt water, 75G w/overflow and 30G sump, and it will be a reef with few fish. I haven't desided what type of corals and "stuff" yet but have bought lighting that should accomadate almost anything. I also plan on a deep sand bed, 100% aragonite.

Lakeside518
03/25/2006, 09:19 PM
IO is fine alittle cheaper then Reef Crystals. I rescently changed from IO to Reef crystals-RC

Everyone has a preference i guess. This topic comes up alot.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/rs/feature/index.php

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/11/aafeature1

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/12/aafeature1

old salty
03/26/2006, 07:51 AM
Yes, that should be all you need to add to the water (for a little while). I recommend topping off evaporated water with limewater. This will assist in maintaining calcium, alkalinity and pH. The first two will really start to drop off when the coralline algae begins to grow.

When I set up my tank, I used Reef Crystals and purchased a bottle of liquid calcium suppliment. Now that I am familiar with the Chemistry Forums here, I have spent less on suppliments now than I did by purchasing that one little bottle. Dr. Farley's 2 part recipe is something you should definately read up on and familiarize yourself with.

Squidhead
03/26/2006, 01:31 PM
I currently am using DIY CO2 (fermentation) , but I am upgrading to compressed CO2 for my planted FW tanks. I bought a manifold for the CO2 line so I could hook up multiple tanks and was concidering a calcium reactor if needed. This also will free up alot of time spent with monitoring and adjusting CO2 in the planted FW's.

old salty
03/26/2006, 06:16 PM
I would like to go with pressurized CO2 for my FW tank, but it's just not in the budget at the moment. I use 2 Hagen ladders and keep my CO2 makers in a warm water bath. It works really well, but only lasts about 4 days.

robsmith32
03/26/2006, 06:36 PM
if you dose for a bit, then go to ca reactor, you'll really appreciate the reactor with ph controller.
set and just check now and then.
Does wonders for stability. and lightens the tank maintenance dramatically.

Squidhead
03/26/2006, 07:03 PM
I also got the pH controler with the set-up, too good of price to not include it as a combo. I really don't need it for the FW's but thought it might come in handy for the ca reactor. Not to go freshwater on you:D But Salty, the Hagen's is what I modeled my DIY's after, just the generator though. The ladder diffussers are really useless. You can build a simple reactor to saturate the water column better. I also found that my own yeast/sugar combo works better then the hagen replacement packs. If I use the right mixture with a better reactor, I can maintain 25ppm CO2 for up to 2 weeks. One thing I noticed with the fermentation generators is that if the Temp. is cooler the mixture lasts longer and is more consistant. For example, my plant only's are in the basement that is unheated. The same mixture will last longer compared to the heated part of the house. There are a few articles that are useful if you want them. I have recently made a CO2 reactor modeled after the Aqua Medic, that sells for about $40-80. I made it for about $7. Let me know if you want a "how to" and I will be letting go of some of them go and making ones out of extra materials.

old salty
03/27/2006, 12:20 PM
Most definately!! Send me a PM please. I'm always looking for new and better things. I've been using Red Star yeast; much cheaper than Hagen packets and does the same thing.