PDA

View Full Version : silly me: frog's don't have sweepers...

Sk8r
03/26/2006, 12:02 AM
...I was absolutely sure they did. Now I know why mine has never put any out, though everything else in the tank is voracious. :o I kept waiting and looking. But apparently, according to my very knowledgeable lfs person, they're a wysiwyg coral---what we see is what we got!

drake66
03/26/2006, 01:15 AM
HUH!? haha

ReeferMac
03/26/2006, 06:33 AM
Hmm... All LPS have sweeper tentacles. It is their only means of aggression. The fact that you haven't seen them, doesn't mean they aren't there.

- Mac

dascharisma
03/26/2006, 07:54 AM
Occupation = Writer

That's a scary thought.

Brad

atzak
03/26/2006, 08:29 AM
I'm not sure if this is what your talking about,but I have found frogspawn sweeper tentacles are longer and more aggressive in higher currents, and the coral is pretty mellow in lower currents

Sk8r
03/26/2006, 10:38 AM
Well, I kept trying to figure out where any additional tentacles would come from, but couldn't find anything likely---like the candy canes unfold from the button center, but clearly this type can't do that. Nothing around the base.
So I'm safe to put it closer to things. That saves tank space! :)
Dascharisma, yep: it's what I do for a living.

Amphiprion
03/26/2006, 10:51 AM
Not necessarily. Frogspawn are able to basically elongate their normal tentacles and concentrate nematocysts in that area. After doing this, it has a long (~6") potent sweeper tentacle.

Sk8r
03/26/2006, 10:56 AM
Ah! Thank you!

RCS
03/26/2006, 12:14 PM
LPS send out sweeper tentacles in response to other perceived threats in the tank. Putting it closer to another coral (ie: potential competitor) will simply make it more likely to send out sweeper tentacles. If it's not sending them out currently, that's a fairly good sign that it's happy where it is, and placing it closer to anything else may upset that balance.

Oh, and just as a rul of thumb, most LFS employees don't have a clue what they're talking about. :rolleyes: