PDA

View Full Version : New Setup Question

Mikebuz1
03/26/2006, 08:40 AM
I'm going to ask a couple of questions which I'm sure could have several correct answers just based on personal opinion. To start off here are my tank specs.

125 gal with 2 mega flow overflows.
3 bags base sand
1 bag live sand
100 lbs live rock
Aquapro Light
Model 4 Mega Sump
Nautilus Protine Skimmer w/mag 7 pump

The take has been setup with water and liverock for two weeks now. Lights were added just a couple of days ago. They are running for 6 hours daily.

First question: The LFS reccomends not running the skimmer while the tank is cycling. He says the skimmer removes good and bad from the tank. I completely trust him but just wanted more opinions.

Secondly: I've been told the bioballs in the sump are nitrate factories. I've seen pics of people putting liverock in place of the bioballs. Let me know what ya think.

Buzz

scrmbld33
03/26/2006, 09:06 AM
i would run your skimmer and ditch the bio balls, the rock to replace the balls is up to you

sage1970
03/26/2006, 10:07 AM
As long as you have room in your sump....and have the additional pieces of LR...throw them into the sump! Just gives you more natural filtration.

Agree with running the skimmer.....

szwab
03/26/2006, 12:42 PM
the advice you got was not bad just a difference in opinion. If it were me, I'd run the skimmer it will be more benificail than "harmful" I would take out the bioballs. live rock in the sump is ok but has a tendancy to trap detritus. It also make it harder to keep the sump maintained IMO.

ohh nand remember patience is the best thing you can have.

lvpd186
03/26/2006, 12:51 PM
I agree with the prior posts, but I thought I would add a warning. If you take the bio balls out all at the same time your tank will probably cycle again. If you dont want that to happen take them out slowly over time (like a small handfull with your weekly water change).

MCary
03/26/2006, 12:58 PM
Skimming does not remove the good and the bad. It only removes the bad. However, in order to get your cycle started sometimes you need an organic source. Skimming could delay the cycle by removing the organics.

szwab
03/26/2006, 01:03 PM
again many techniques same end resultin the short term yes you will lose some bacteria by removing the bioballs. But IMO the idea is to colonize the live rockand sand with bacteria so by pulling out all the bioballs, that will leave those as the only places for the bacteria to grow. otherwise you will still colonize the bioballs only to pull them out later.