PDA

View Full Version : auto topoff works!

Sk8r
03/26/2006, 03:08 PM
I ordered a unit from autotop.com for my 52 gal, and received it halfway across the US before I could run down the tracking number. Installation was a bit of a poser at first glance, with all the cords, but the instructions were clear and in good English, there were photos, and it's running. Setting the level was just a matter of pushing on the float, realizing I'd set the electronics sticky pad right over my topoff mark :( (that helps, right?) but hey, the unit worked like a charm and cut off and on precisely: it's far more sensitive than I hoped. So far, so good. I'm going to watch it like a hawk(fish) the next couple of weeks. It's probably even snail-proof, though, thank goodness, I don't have any in the sump. If this works, the bucket and extra hose will eventually get their own cabinet and the top will become a cat observation post.

rudeanduncouth
03/28/2006, 01:36 PM
What is the website your ordered it from? You posted autotop.com but that isn't right. I am very curious about this though.

Žeefer
03/28/2006, 02:00 PM
I think he meant autotopoff.com I have been looking at them and it's good to hear good feedback. Not a bad $40 addon. I'm more concerned that over time it might get coroded, stay on and flood. Anyone hear of this happening?

rudeanduncouth
03/28/2006, 03:14 PM
It says it is made of non-metal components so I am thinking that corrosion shouldn't be a problem. I might be willing to give a try soon. $40 is pretty good and doesn't involving me trusting my wiring jobs.

Žeefer
03/28/2006, 03:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7061539#post7061539 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rudeanduncouth
It says it is made of non-metal components so I am thinking that corrosion shouldn't be a problem. I might be willing to give a try soon. $40 is pretty good and doesn't involving me trusting my wiring jobs.

Everything "corodes" in a reeftank. If salt build up doesnt get it, coraline will get it and if that doesnt get it, calcium will. Plastics are not safe...haha. But for $40 and putting an old maxi jet back in commision, I'll try it out too.

wetWolger
03/28/2006, 04:00 PM
Yea, I got the dual switch unit running to an aqua lifter. VERY PLEASED with the setup :-)

rudeanduncouth
03/28/2006, 04:34 PM
Well, I don't really consider that corroding but I do understand what you mean. Thank god for vinegar is all I can say.

jent: What exactly is the difference between the dual and the single?

Trey3
03/28/2006, 10:57 PM
Actually, he meant top-off.com. I think he got the AutoTop Deluxe from there if my memory serves.

Trey

dkh0331
03/28/2006, 11:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7062147#post7062147 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rudeanduncouth
Well, I don't really consider that corroding but I do understand what you mean. Thank god for vinegar is all I can say.

jent: What exactly is the difference between the dual and the single?

The dual has two float valves and the single has one. The dual saved me, snails do make their way into a sump, even a sump in the basement like I have. One of those little guys did get caught in the lower valve and when the water hit the second one, turned my pump off, as designed. I feel strongly that for the few extra $$'s, a dual is a good value that gives me piece of mind.

HTH

David

Žeefer
03/29/2006, 10:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7065170#post7065170 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dkh0331
The dual has two float valves and the single has one. The dual saved me, snails do make their way into a sump, even a sump in the basement like I have. One of those little guys did get caught in the lower valve and when the water hit the second one, turned my pump off, as designed. I feel strongly that for the few extra $$'s, a dual is a good value that gives me piece of mind.

HTH

David

That is the kind of "mistake" I would be afraid of. That extra $10 saved you gallons of fresh on the floor and a burnt pump. Thanks for the heads up.

tygger
03/31/2006, 02:41 PM
I think I'm gonna order the autotopoff one also.