PDA

View Full Version : Megaflow Aquarium on Steriods!!

KH971
03/26/2006, 10:21 PM
I purchased a used 210 AGA with dual Megaflows. I wanted to have as much flow as possible so I used all the bulkheads. Both the 1 inch and both 3/4 bulkheads. I tried using four 1 inch Stockman's as overflows but these did not allow enough flow and the air flow through the small 1/4 ball valves did not allow enough air also.
I am using a Gen-X PC70 (1570GPH) pump and the 4 one inch overflows could not keep up. I wanted a lot of flow so I pulled a few measurements and I tried something.
I put two 1 1/2 Durso overflows in each Megaflow. They are a tight fit but they work! Now the small 1/4 inch ball valves would not allow enough air so I drilled 6 3/16 holes right below the ball and the dispersed air filter in through 6 holes and the top also. I used 4 one inch flex pipes on each bulkhead and ran these to my sump. With the 1 1/2 Durso's and the drilled air valves and the flex PVC my tank is now dead quiet and it could probably handle up to 2000 gallons per hour.
I took pictures of the overflows and valves but I can't seem to downsize the pics.

Mr James
03/27/2006, 07:32 AM
Oh man, after a statement like that, you better be posting some pictures!!

8BALL_99
03/27/2006, 11:06 AM
A single megaflow can handle a mag 12 without using the 3/4.. I'm sure with the two overflows you could have used the stock plumbing with that pump. But at anyrate you would be alot better off with a closed loop for flow insted of trying to run it all through your sump.. If you maxout your overflows any small blockage=flood!

KH971
03/27/2006, 06:47 PM
I am actually running 2 Gen-X 70's, one on closed loop and one on sump/refugium(135gal). 3000 GPH turnover in my tank.