PDA

View Full Version : ASM Skimmer Problem: Lid will not lock onto collection cup, anybody else?

gsxrguru2
03/27/2006, 08:03 AM
I have been using my skimmer for about 3 months now and have had it since it was new. Before it had seen any use at all the lid on the collection cup locked and unlocked very freely. Within the first couple of cleanings, I noticed that the lid would no longer lock on and if I forced it to, it was almost impossible to get off. I am forced to just set the lid on the cup and hope it doesn't leak. Just wondering if anybody else has had this problem and if there are any suggestions or if I have any recourse with ASM? Thanks!

Louisb
03/27/2006, 10:34 AM
Mine kind of does the same thing, but not as extreme. I am tagging along to see if anyone has any suggestions. I wonder if using vaseline would work?

gsxrguru2
03/27/2006, 11:13 AM
I was actually thinking of using vaseline as I was writing this earlier. I was wondering if maybe the acrylic somehow shrinks when exposed to saltwater, or something?

CaptainDave
03/27/2006, 11:43 AM
Mine does that too, I don't think it's hurting anything just sitting on top. I think acrylic absorbs a little bit of water and swells when it gets wet, maybe that's why.

gsxrguru2
03/27/2006, 12:00 PM
I don't think it hurts anything, its just annoying knowing that it is supposed to be a good quality skimmer, but yet the lid won't even go on all the way. the only problem (hasn't happened yet) I can see happening is the skimmate spilling out when I remove the collection cup b/c the lid isn't on all the way.

kalare
03/27/2006, 02:16 PM
I have several of the old style ER (don't know about the new ones) that I've been using for at least 6-8 years. All my cups have lids that just sit on top with a little groove on the bottom to keep them from sliding around. This is also how I've made my DIY skimmers. I don't see any problem with performance. I would however be mad if my skimmer was made to close tight and didn't :(.

As for skimmate falling out, I would think it would fall out of the riser/neck before it went over the brim of the neck. In any case, once the cup is half full is usually time to change it since in most cases the neck will most likely have some deposits that reduce skimmate.

gsxrguru2
03/27/2006, 03:39 PM
true.... oh well, its a great skimmer that's really my only complaint

espo72
03/27/2006, 03:44 PM
I had this problem. Then I used some force to get it on. Now I can't get the lid off. I tried hot water, tapping it on the counter (not too hard).

Anyone got any other ideas on how to open it. It would make emptying out the cup a lot easier!!

racer69
03/27/2006, 04:34 PM
If your lid is stuck on, you can take a belt and put it around the large part of the collection cup. Have someone hold the end of the belt so that when you use both hands to turn the lid, it tightens the belt around the collection cup. I have had to do this in the past, so now I don't tighten the lid. Hope this helps.

gsxrguru2
03/27/2006, 08:40 PM
Kind of like an oil filter wrench... good idea!

marilynrn711
03/27/2006, 10:47 PM
I had my lid stick too. Now I just set it down on top and do not tighten it.

mecold
03/28/2006, 01:08 AM
Are you cleaning the collection cups with hot water? At first I cleaned my collection cup with hot water (asm g2), after a couple of cleanings, the lid was almost impossible to open or close all the way. I figured out my problem was the hot water. I use cold water now, and the lid opens and closes like it did when new. It really dosen't make a difference if the skimmer overflows or not as to the lid sticking. Thats my experience anyway. Goodluck