PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Cole-Parmer pump

jeffbrig
03/27/2006, 09:48 AM
I recently picked up a used Cole-Parmer masterflex pump on Ebay. It's an economy drive, 0-600rpm, came with an easy load head. My plan was to use this to draw water through my calcium reactor (Schuran Jetstream1). Playing around with the pump, I've found it to be rather loud. Is that normal for this type of pump?

With the cover removed, the noise seems to be coming from the back end of the motor. I don't know if it's a bearing back there, or possibly even the motor brushes making the noise.

Anyone with experience, tips, suggestions? With the racket this thing makes, I don't think I can run it as-is.

BLockamon
03/27/2006, 06:13 PM
It is kind of a thumping sound every time the rollers spin. If so, then that is (unfortunately) normal. We have several of these pumps at work and they are not quiet.

Also, I wouldn't recommend the easy-load head anyway. We have bad luck with the tubing getting cut after a while. If you're going to run it long term, check the tubing often and move it around so that the same part isn't worn day after day.