PDA

View Full Version : Who makes their own food?

Shnabbles
03/27/2006, 04:22 PM
I was wondering who makes their own fish food and what they put in it? I know Jim (GEBC) makes his own but i can't remember what he puts in it.

bloopbloop
03/27/2006, 06:31 PM
I just make soup with bought foods.

Shnabbles
03/28/2006, 03:29 PM
So just mix everthing together??

What about flakes addem or leave'em out?

bloopbloop
03/28/2006, 05:40 PM
I am not recommending soup just letting you know what I do. :)

I mix flake, dry ground brine, dry whole looking brine things, dried seaweed and Cyclop-Eeze. I use a little tank water, let it sit for a bit then turkey baster it where needed.

I also find that my long tentacled purple anemone and feather dusters smile alot when I "dust" off the rock with the baster.

kaptken
03/28/2006, 11:16 PM
I have tried making some from scratch. recipes vary. but heres a good sounding one from reef central's own Sanjay Joshi, the lighting king, sounds good enough to eat.

http://www.athiel.com/lib4/food.htm

all stuff you can buy at the grocery store. have a seafood diner medley of salmon, clams, squid, shrimp, nori, and cut a few pieces of each seafood for the fish. then blend up. you can also add extra vitamins like SEACHEM REEFPLUS, i often soak my brine shrimp and mysis in a little of it and tank water. or add SELCON, or squeeze a few OMEGA-3 vitamin caps into it too. and flake and BS AND MYSIS, THEN mix in a blender to the proper particle size for your fish, then bag in a ziplock, flatten out very thin, and freeze.

Shnabbles
03/29/2006, 11:37 AM
Thanks guys... Im gonna try dried flake, mysis shirmp, zoo plankton and some Cyclope eze... I have some DT's Oyster eggs for my Flower Pot think i should throw that in or stay with direct feedings?

wds21921
04/02/2006, 01:25 AM
Making your own mix of food has many benefits.

1) You can adjust the mix to better satisfy your inhabitants.

2) Decent size batches can be made relatively quickly and frozen.

3) The overall cost is a little cheaper than store bought if you break it down.

4) You can add your preferred brand or type of added nutrients.

5) In a pinch, you can tell your date it's an exotic Thai dish. ;)

leebca
04/09/2006, 10:38 AM
I make my own foods, too. But I still vary my fish's diet with frozen and other prepared foods according to this:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=785228