PDA

View Full Version : bubble Tip Anemone Help

Spidross
03/27/2006, 05:21 PM
Hi

I bought a bubble tip anemone for my tank yesterday, everything was good and the anemone looked settled in. 2 Clowns have taken to it really well and love it. Was just closing things down tonight though and noticed that the tank had gone all cloudy, on closer inspection the anemone had shrunk, all it's tips were empty and it looked totally and utterly deflated. Had just chjecked my water and all is good. The anemone has release like cloudy mucus so to speak into the water. The fish and shrimps seem fine and don't seem to be bothered but i am

How can you tell if they are dying or is it something i should expect as a natural thing that can happen with them. this is my first time with anemones and any advice would be most appreciated.

finding nemo
03/27/2006, 06:35 PM
Sounds like it released sperm or eggs into the water.
They deflate also to poop or exchange water in their bodies.
Let us know how he is in the morning.
Right now I would'nt worry about him

Spidross
03/28/2006, 04:04 AM
tHANKS FOR THE REPLY, HE SEEMS FINE THIS MORNING, BUT IS NOW RETREATING BACKWARDS INTO THE ROCK WORK, AM GOING TO DO A WATER CHANGE AND CHECK LEVELS TODAY BUT HE'S GONE FROM ALL OUT AND DISPLAYED TO SHRUNKEN AND SHRIVELLED TO REFILLED AND RETREATING INTO THE ROCK IN ABOUT 12 HOURS!!

aNY OTHER IDEAS POINTERS ARE MOST APPRECIATED

finding nemo
03/28/2006, 07:44 AM
Spid, that is to be expected, him moving since he is so new to your tank. He is adjusting to it and will retreat for a day or two, keep feeding him if you can reach him and sooner or later he will stick his head out from the rock to show you how happy he is.

Spidross
03/28/2006, 09:55 AM
Cheers mate most appreciated, i stumbled across this site by accident looking for help and have spent hours upon hours looking at all the posts, very informative and thank the man upstairs i found it!!

He is starting to come back out and the 2 clowns are guarding him like there is no tomorrow! He is definately starting to look better, i was worried as i thought he was having problems and was dying, as this is my first anemone i wanted to make sure, i never like seeing animals hurt or die and do try my best to help them. on that note my powder blue tang in my main marine aquarium died this morning, heart breaking he was onme of my first fish and was beautifull, must have been old age as the water was spot on

real shame, but once again thanks for your help been much appreciated

dantodd
03/28/2006, 07:00 PM
This is almost certainly bad information. Unless there was ALOT of "mucus looking" stuff it was probably the vast majority of your anemone's symbiotic zooxantellae colony. Major changes in lighting or water can cause him to do this as well as general stress, all of which yours just experienced.

He will probably do fine as long as you keep the water quality up and feed him a lot. He also needs appropriate lighting.

redvipe2010
03/28/2006, 11:05 PM
Agree with Finding Nemo, mine shrinks up like that the day after I feed them, but it doesn't last long. They are just getting rid of waste.

Spidross
03/29/2006, 01:50 AM
Cheers guys for the replies, he is fine and healthy looking now and fully inflated, am breathing a sigh of relief

finding nemo
03/29/2006, 02:07 AM
Thats terrific, thanks for letting us know.
Sometimes looking at the worst cenerio is not necessary.
And the simple things are going on.
Great news