PDA

View Full Version : estsblished

OrangeKoi
03/27/2006, 09:58 PM
At what point does a tank become established?

Snowboarder2757
03/27/2006, 10:04 PM
When all the parameters are where they should be. Just keep testing your water, until they are suitible to add any fish or coral.

bertoni
03/27/2006, 10:06 PM
The term doesn't have any precise meaning. What choices are you trying to make?

Sk8r
03/27/2006, 10:07 PM
It all goes by stages, and depends on what you keep. I'm, for instance, mostly corals, which grow slowly. I started in January. By February, I'd cycled, and added inverts, a few corals, and a few fish. By March, I added a couple of lps corals. Everything's happy, so I've hit another level in 'established.' Things don't die, and they grow. The tank is well-corallined (I was very lucky in my rock) and has lots of copepods: this puts me several months ahead of where I would be if I'd had to grow the coralline. So that's another level. Now my tank has a lot of empty space that those corals will fill, and it'll be another year before the corals I have reach trimming size, if they go on as they are. That's yet another level of 'established.' I'll be providing corals to others, and I could support about any fish that would fit my tank. But it will be several years before I have a showpiece tank like, well, the ample evidence of old, 'established' tanks that make you wish you could see that in your own glass box. So, yes, there's always another step, and when you get through all that, you start looking at a larger tank and start all over again. :)

OrangeKoi
03/27/2006, 10:25 PM
:) I love these answers. Thanks. The point at which you want a bigger tank is well taken:rolleyes: Pretty good one.

I was just wondering if getting a rock with anemonies is reasonable. I need a rock or two for my 1" hermit crab. He is too big for my little reef as he stumbles all over everything every time I put him in there. So he is alone with a little star.

The LFS has a couple nicely established rocks(pleanty of green alge) which I thought would work well with another rock which has a couple of anemonies on it.

I'm willing to try it, if it isn't unreasonable.

bertoni
03/28/2006, 01:16 AM
What kind of anemones are they? The more common anemones we see for sale get too large for even the 5.5g tank.

OrangeKoi
03/28/2006, 02:44 AM
I'll have to check on that. Thanks.

OrangeKoi
03/28/2006, 11:49 AM
x