PDA

View Full Version : 10 Questions and Comments

Reggae Fish
03/27/2006, 11:56 PM
I have PC 2-65watt 12,000k and 2-65watt actinic
How would you set your timers if you had the same lights?

I'd also like to say that I really appreciate the people that helped me out but I can't say enough about DrBDC
Not only did he load me up!, but his kids, wife, even fish were super cool! I'll payback the favor soon! Don't worry!
Plus, we'll have to do the wings and ribs!

Speaking of which, if I ordered a "large" bubble coral, would it be possible to cut a portion and basically split it? If so, is there a good set of directions for this...DrBDC, I'll leave this up to you. I want to help you out!

On the activities someone suggested DIY stuff. Awesome idea! What about how to do a full retro. The most I understand about retro is that I have to do it myself and I don't understand it at ALL! That would be a great one.

If I bought the "stuff" to build a 48" fixture for metal halides, what would I all need? Would it be that much less expensive than buying a plug & go fixture?I want 300watt or more? Do I just need halides or do I also need pc, t5, etc... with them? I see a lot with combos? Would someone be willing to help me with them in about 6 months or so? Or should I just ask then?

[edited at poster's request]

To all the people who have helped me getting started, I will be posting pics of my tank tomm!

How long does it generally take to get all the rocks covered in purple, green, etc... algae?

Does anyone have either a very inexpensive refractometer for sale? I would like to get one but for right now I'm having to settle using 2 hydrometers. They actually seem to be doing pretty good but everyone has told me to get a refractometer. I'm also looking for a 1/2"x1/2" male to male threaded coupler. Must be plastic or nylon.

I think my nurse shark is getting too big for my 20 gallon tank? Is this common?

How many of the people on here use Ebay?

Thanks again for everyones help!

DrBDC
03/28/2006, 09:23 AM
Being the politician I am :D, I'll do 6-10 here:

6- Can't wait to see

7-Months to years, just keep the ca/alk/mag stable and wait. PC's seem to be on the quicker side vs. MH's.

8-No refractometer but I think you can get the pvc coupler at Lowes.

9- No, until he gets so big that his tail extends more than a foot out of the tank it's fine. At that point move him to a 29.

10- I do at times. I got my tank, ro/di, some pumps, a heater, my ozone unit, and some other misc. stuff there.

drgabe
03/28/2006, 09:55 AM
[1] Actinics run for 12-13 hours per day.
The 10K run for 8-10.

Use an hour or so on either end of the 10K on/off cycle to create a "dawn/dusk" mode if you wish.
That is how I did mine and things went well.

Goalie66
03/28/2006, 01:17 PM
I've got an extra refractometer from Dr. Foster's and Smiths I'll sell for $25.00

Tom

Reggae Fish
03/28/2006, 01:30 PM
That would be great. Would you mind shipping? I know you are close but with kids, etc... it's hard for me to get over to IL?
Unless you work in st. louis or are closer than I think?
Can I pay using paypal? That way, I can use a credit card, otherwise I have to wait till friday before I get paid.

Thanks for the response!