PDA

View Full Version : Calcium & Alkaline Supplement

warden13
03/28/2006, 07:58 AM
I am looking for a calcium and alkaline supplement and test kit recommendation. Also, is a magnesium supplement important? I have zoos, xenias & shrooms in my tank. I am trying to get to the basic supplements I should be adding to my tank. I originally purchased supplements which may not be necessary (PH buffer, calcium supplement powder, trace elements supplement, etc…). It seems like every time I go to the lfs, they are trying to sell me a new supplement. Thanks.

rayjay
03/28/2006, 08:45 AM
Other than food, the only "dosing" my tanks get are nightly top up with limewater. (kalkwasser)
For when I go away and don't want to trust the sitter with using limewater, I use Randy Holmes-Farley's home made two part (three?) recepie for calcium and alkalinity and magnesium.
I especially don't add trace elements as I'm always doing water changes to REDUCE the trace elements in the water that continually build up from feeding the tanks.
Worked fine now for at least 12 yrs anyway.

Konadog
03/28/2006, 08:50 AM
warden13, sounds like all you need to do is regular water changes and you'll be fine keeping softies. Trace elements are replaced during a water change. If you are adding anything for PH, be sure to measure your PH at the same time of day, PH changes over the day, so you may be adding buffers for no reason.

Paintbug
03/28/2006, 10:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7058880#post7058880 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Konadog
warden13, sounds like all you need to do is regular water changes and you'll be fine keeping softies. Trace elements are replaced during a water change. If you are adding anything for PH, be sure to measure your PH at the same time of day, PH changes over the day, so you may be adding buffers for no reason.

exactly. it doesnt sound like you have a high calcium demand from your tank. first rule is not to add anything you dont test for! most people here use Salifert test kits. they are a little on the expensive side, but they are the best kits out. if you test your levels and find your cal or alk is off, then you may want to look at adding a 2 Part additive. theres a few out right now. ESV B-ionic and C-balance are probably the best 2. i make my own which is much cheaper :D. then main thing is to make sure you need to add something before you do. heres an article on water chemistry
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

Avi
03/28/2006, 11:33 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7058575#post7058575 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by warden13
is a magnesium supplement important? I have zoos, xenias & shrooms in my tank.

It's good, sound advice you're getting here. Just wanted to add that it's a good idea to have a magnesium test kit. If you find you're having trouble elevating the calcium level in your tank to a desired number, test for magnesium because it may be low and that would prevent the calcium level from rising even with the supplementation.