PDA

View Full Version : Sponge out of water...

stellablu
03/28/2006, 12:02 PM
I need to take pictures of my live rock and it's loaded with these awesome sponges and tunicates, so how long do I have before they will die off out of water? I was thinking it was 20 minutes. I just want to make sure I don't end up killing off all the beautiful life on the rock.

Thanks for any advice!

ObscurityKnocks
03/28/2006, 12:21 PM
Most if not all sponges do not tolerate exposure to air, don't know about tunicates. So if you want the sponges to live, don't do this.

mille239
03/28/2006, 12:30 PM
The problem is not how long outside of water they can live, the problem is from air getting inside the sponge through their pores when they are brough out of the water. this air becomes trapped, thereby preventing water from properly being circulated through them.

nebraskareef
03/28/2006, 12:43 PM
indeed, blast them with a PH and see if you can dislodge any air. Just don't let it sit for too long, or you may damage the sponge.

guitar_lord
03/28/2006, 12:45 PM
I dont suggest taking them out of the water at all... not a very good idea... keep them submurged

Reef'in Colorado
03/28/2006, 02:18 PM
Sponges have varing degrees of hardiness out of the water. I brought some LR home from Mexico wrapped in trashbags, essentially dry. I had several types of sponges still alive after getting home and putting the rock into a holding tank.

stellablu
03/28/2006, 02:27 PM
See, I'm trying to sell the rock and the person is interested in sizes and I also need to weigh it all. There lies my problem...

nebraskareef
03/28/2006, 02:33 PM
simple. get a large bag, fill with water. Weigh the bag, w/ the water, add the rock, weigh the bag with the rock, minus the water weight.