PDA

View Full Version : Who does tank moves?

Teddy Ballgame
03/28/2006, 12:05 PM
I am about a month away from having to move my 180 gallon. I am in the process of designing and putting together a new sump.
But MOST of my friends remembered the pain it was to move last time and now are very reluctant. I would just as soon have some pros come in and take it apart and set it back up. Fortunatley the move is on about a mile away from where I'm at right now.

Thanks for any suggestions.

cward
03/28/2006, 12:25 PM
I wouldn't think a 180 would be that bad to move.

Teddy Ballgame
03/28/2006, 12:40 PM
True, I just hate moving! I guess if properly planned, it ould be done without too much hassle. Just wanted to guage if anyone knew anything local movers doing this kind of thing.

cward
03/28/2006, 12:45 PM
I was thinking about the tank only and not the livestock. I haven't had to move mine yet so I have no experience, but I'm sure some other people will chime in.

cfishrun
03/28/2006, 05:55 PM
If you're talking about having professional movers move your tank I'd highly advise against it, especially if you have a reef tank. Chances are slim that you'll luck out and happen to get a group of guys that understand and respect how much money is tied up in your hobby, and have the knowledge of packing, handling, and transporting live marine animals.

I'd suggest contacting your favorite LFS. Most offer tank cleaning services, and tank moves typically fall under that category. However, for a 180, you'll pay a decent amount; most LFS's tank service fees range anywhere from $40 to $60 per man hour (depending on the store). They'd have to send out at least 2, but possibly up to 4, people to move a tank that size. That'd equate to $160 - $240 an hour. Also, if you decide to go this route make some calls and get something set up ASAP. Most LFS's need a few weeks notice to schedule in new customers, especially when it's something of your scale.

Just plan ahead, and do as much of the tank move on your own to limit costs and the chances of something going wrong. If you have the ability to get into your new place early, set up temporary holding tanks for your livestock ASAP. When I moved my system this past summer, I was fortunate to be moving it into a new tank, but I still had to use holding tanks for a couple of weeks b/c not everything with the new system was totally set up. It's a major process, so don't rush things; if you do, then your livestock might suffer, and you'll definitely regret it later.

CaveManNOhio
03/28/2006, 08:05 PM
Count me in on helping in any way I can. Tank and Live Stock included.

Teddy Ballgame
03/28/2006, 09:04 PM
Thanks guys. I'll plan it out and post if I can use some help.
This is what I figured when I got into this hobby, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
BTW, moving sucks!

itZme
03/28/2006, 09:28 PM
I helped a friend move a 210g a few months ago and it wasn't too hard. It took a few hours to get it all loaded and we had to move it about 60 miles. We had to empty the live rock and livestock into rubbermaid tubs with heaters and powerheads in them. Then loaded the tank and stand into the van. We loaded the rubbermaid tubs last then plugged the powerheads into a power inverter to run off of the cig lighter. We brought everything into the new place and plugged them in to keep the live stuff happy then brought in the tank and stand.

The toughest part was waiting for enough RO water to fill a 210g. We added about 75-100 gallons of new saltwater, added all the live rock and water saved in the tubs, then filled the rest with new water and added powerheads, heaters etc... then acclimated livestock and let them go.

The only thing I would worry about is if you have a DSB. There are lots of scary stories out there about stirring up a DSB and creating problems. Luckily the tank I helped move only had an inch or so of sand in it and we re-used it without any problems. I would NOT try to move it with anything in it at all including sand.

When the 210 was empty it only took the 2 of us to move it. http://www.all-glass.com/services/index.html says that a 180g empty weighs 338 lbs so each guy only has to lug 169 lbs.

Good luck with your move!
-- Kevin

asnatlas
03/28/2006, 10:46 PM
Teddy Ballgame, If I am avail when you are moving I can help...