PDA

View Full Version : Fish Doc's in Trenton, MI

jenghes
03/28/2006, 12:55 PM
I headed up to the Fish Doc's in Trenton, MI earlier. I love working with Win and miss him in Ypsi! I got the following:

Fridmani Pseudochromis - $25
6-Line - $12 (Gary is $19.50)
IO bucket $40 (Gary is $44)
CA1800 pump - $35 (best I could find online was $28.95 before shipping)

What is even better - sales tax is lower in MI. BTW, they are only a few minutes from Trop.

Dubbin1
03/28/2006, 01:13 PM
Tell me more about this place. Address, hours and a phone number would be nice :) Do they have corals and if so what is there pricing like and what can I expect.

jenghes
03/28/2006, 01:20 PM
Yes he has corals. His back tanks are cycling right now and expects to have more SPS in about a month.

I'll have to find the info for you.... If you take I-75 up to Trop, you exit at West Rd. TL to go to Trop, TR to go to the Fish Docs. They are right in Downtown Trenton. Can't miss them.

They also have locations in Canton, MI and Ypsi, MI. Website:
http://fishdoctors.com/ Trenton is not listed here. I would venture to guess that the hours are the same at all stores.

M-F 11:00 - 9:00
Sa - 11:00 - 6:00
Su - 12:00 - 5:00

Trenton phone: (734) 434-1030

Aquatic Aquaman
03/30/2006, 07:19 AM
I was at the Fish Docs in AA last week and half their fish were dead in the tanks. The had some clown fish that were paired but on of them was barely alive laying sideways in the substrate. I wasn't very impressed. I've been there in the past and it seems that the Ann Arbor place has really gone down hill.

jenghes
03/30/2006, 07:25 AM
I am really surprised to hear that anout the Ypsi store. I have never seen that in the past. I hope they just got a bad shipment.

Aquatic Aquaman
03/30/2006, 07:31 AM
It look to be to be their water. It looked very tinted. Most their coral pieces had hair algea covering them as well.

jenghes
03/30/2006, 07:34 AM
Did you ask Tom? He is usually on the ball.

Aquatic Aquaman
03/30/2006, 07:44 AM
When I went there, there was only one young guy working there Don't know his name I don't go there all that often. This was my second time there in 3 years.

jenghes
03/30/2006, 07:47 AM
I'll ask Tom what happened.

jenghes
03/30/2006, 05:11 PM
Response from Fish Doc's in Ypsi - He does not have a user name on RC.... or he would have responded himself :)

We did get some bad gold stripe maroons- came in with brookynella. But there certainly wasn't half the store in dead fish, or hair algae on our corals. You can't please them all, you can only work hard and be honest. Oh well, thanks for sticking up for us!
Tom

Any time that I have ever had any trouble with anything that I got from them, be it fish, coral, or dry goods.... they usually replaced it, no questions asked.

Jen

Aquatic Aquaman
03/31/2006, 10:45 AM
Hey I was just reporting on what I saw. Doug can back me up on that.

jenghes
03/31/2006, 10:54 AM
And just reporting the comments from the Doc's.

Aquatic Aquaman
03/31/2006, 10:57 AM
There was hair algea on the corals though! ;0) And I counted 6 dead fish when I was there. I exaggerated on the half the store my bad.

Dubbin1
03/31/2006, 11:03 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7082269#post7082269 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aquatic Aquaman
I exaggerated on the half the store my bad.
And that my friends is what will give a good LFS a bad name. After you said that half the fish were dead there was no way that I was going to even bother going there.

Aquatic Aquaman
03/31/2006, 11:04 AM
But the remain live stocked looked terrible like it would go at any time.

Aquatic Aquaman
03/31/2006, 11:06 AM
I always feel never take peoples words for granted until you've check things out for yourself. One person's comment doesn't mean much but if you have a bunch saying its bad then you can formulate. Check it out Dwayne and let me know what you think about the place. I'm also only speaking on behalf of the one in Ypsi. The other Locations may be better.

jenghes
03/31/2006, 11:14 AM
I like the Ypsi store, and I have never seen massive amounts of HA there. But - to each his own. I have seen dead fish in every store that I have been to. At Trop, I have seen tons of aiptasia and have seen red flatworms in one of their coral tanks. Does this make them bad? I'd say not, just a part of the hobby everyone gets it at one time or another. I think that we have all had these problems in the past be it HA, cyano, aiptasia, flatworms, red bugs etc.

Just as a reminder, this thread was about Trenton, not Ypsi. It is off topic.

Dubbin1
03/31/2006, 11:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7082399#post7082399 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jenghes

Just as a reminder, this thread was about Trenton, not Ypsi. It is off topic.

Good save :)

jenghes
03/31/2006, 11:38 AM
On a final note, I judge a LFS by the quality of advice that they give and the long term success of any livestock that I get from them. Not necessarily their presentation in the shop.

I have never had one bit of poor advice from either Tom or Win. I can not say that from some of the shops down here. I will not mention any names.

Aquatic Aquaman
03/31/2006, 11:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7082542#post7082542 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jenghes
On a final note, I judge a LFS by the quality of advice that they give and the long term success of any livestock that I get from them. Not necessarily their presentation in the shop.

I have never had one bit of poor advice from either Tom or Win. I can not say that from some of the shops down here. I will not mention any names.

I never said anything about judging the quality of the place or the advice that they give. I was just making a generalization on the status of their Live Stock when i was in there last. As I had stated I was impressed the first time I was in there a couple of years ago but when I went in there last time things weren't looking so hot.

I appologize to you Jen and also to the Fish Doctors for making a generalization on their live stock last week. I'm sure they are an excellent store.

Dwayne was just asking about their Corals and I was reporting what I saw there last week.

Too each their own.

jenghes
03/31/2006, 11:57 AM
No need to apologize to me, no offense taken on my part. You are free to like/dislike who ever you wish.

Dwayne asked about Trenton's corals and I answered that there was not much there at the time due to the cycling of the tanks. The Ypsi store was a different topic all together. I can not comment on the current condition of their corals, but I have never seen a major issue with them. I used to work in Ann Arbor and went to the Ypsi store often during lunch.

I like Trop a lot but if I were to judge them based on my first visit (aiptasia and flatworms) I would have never gone back (50% of my Trop experience). I'd rather get HA anyday. My hermits and water quality kick it in the butt really fast. I got a frag at the swap that was covered in it. The hermits attacked it and it was gone overnight.

jenghes
03/31/2006, 01:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7082269#post7082269 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aquatic Aquaman
I exaggerated on the half the store my bad.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7082324#post7082324 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Dubbin1
And that my friends is what will give a good LFS a bad name.

BINGO!!!

webduece
04/01/2006, 08:35 AM
Hi guys!
My name is Win, and I'm the owner of Fish Docs in Trenton. I would like to formally extend an invitation to all of you to come in and check things out. Being a newer store owner, I'm still figuring things out. After taking over DayOne and seeing the condition of many of his coral tanks, I decided that it would be easier and more cost effective to start over with new systems. This has been a project that has evolved over the better part of a year now. When finished, the back room will be about 800 gallons of corals and reef safe fish. I'm about half way there.

If you come by and don't see what you want or are looking for something in particular, tell me. Im more than happy to order something in for you, just ask Jen.
Also, I would like to offer all NORA members a 10% discount off all items in stock. Just print out this thread and bring it in.

Thanks for reading this thread, and I look forward to meeting you.

Win

Dubbin1
04/01/2006, 08:38 AM
Wow Win thanks for the invite and the discount. I will be sure to make it up that way soon. If there is anything that our club can do to help you reach your goals then please just let me know and I'll see what I can do.

jenghes
04/01/2006, 12:15 PM
Win is a GREAT guy! You won't be disappointed!!!!