PDA

View Full Version : any newbies have problems with malfunctioning heaters?

beaniebeagle
03/28/2006, 03:05 PM
I have only been doing this for 2 months. I have had two, yes two, visi-therm deluxe heaters malfunction and heat 10 degrees F above their settings

anyone else have this problem???

I just emailed the manufacturers to gripe.:furious:

Jeff_edge540
03/28/2006, 03:18 PM
man-o-man
THis is like the 5th story I've heard this week about malfunctioning heaters.
Just more justification on spending an extra $120 on my aquarium to buy an external controller for my heater. I guess thats a small price to pay in order to protect your tank from crashing due to a stuck $30 heater.

Jeff_edge540
03/28/2006, 03:20 PM
Maybe you should send your heater manufacturer/distributer an invoice for the livestock you've lost due to their faulty product....That should get their attention.

Pete1399
03/28/2006, 03:22 PM
I have three visi-therm "Stealth" heaters. No problem with them.

Fmellish
03/28/2006, 03:30 PM
Heaters are unreliable at best when using the built in termostat. My Jager heaters are inaccurate, (when they work). Set to 79F, my heater in my reef tank comes on if the temp dips below 82F.

An external controller is a wise investment.

Josh

beaniebeagle
03/28/2006, 06:30 PM
well, looks like the external controller is the next purchase

i actually got lucky, happened to be home both times...no fish loss

thanks

TOURKID
03/28/2006, 06:42 PM
Im a newbie that had heater problems! I woke up one morning to find my tank water hotter than my body temperature! past 96 for sure.

I lost 1 blood shrimp, I have a star mat that hasent opened since. everything else recovered

I have a 45 gal bow front, and the thermometer was 150watts. I called the companey and aparently the front of the box stating 'up to 50 gal' i shouldent have looked at, the side of the box states it differently. it was a 'theo' heater. I called the guy and he was nice, and told me i would have to set it at like 72 to get it to stay around 80.. I went and bout a smaller heater.

Lesson learned :(

REEFKEEPA
03/28/2006, 06:51 PM
Oh boy,
Some people will tell you to oversize your heater.
I would recommend going with 2 heaters that are of a combined wattage which is recommended for your tank size.