PDA

View Full Version : Teeny Tiny Nano

autofish
03/28/2006, 05:12 PM
Hi folks,

I have a 3 gallon Eclipse tank I'm looking to do something with. Now, I've heard this is NOT a good choice for a nano reef, and that's OK with me. I don't really want to do a complete reef in it, anyway.

I would, however, like to keep a single fish as a pet. I was thinking a clown. Maybe put a couple very small pieces of live rock in there for fun.

What do you think? Am I destined to run into problems with this? My assumption was I could stick a clown in there and do partial water changes every week and be just fine. I'd love to hear any thoughts from the experts here before I jump in, because I have zero experience with saltwater tanks this small and don't want to kill fish if I can help it. :)

Jordan55
03/28/2006, 05:27 PM
There are many 2.5 gallon nano reefs here. Look around for some ideas.

Most fish are out of the question, especially a clown.

You could go with a small shrimp goby or small goby of some sort. Look for something under 2 inches.

I am not encouraging you to keep a fish in it. IMO, it can be done, but isn't best. But if you HAVE to have a fish, get something under 2 inches and doesn't do a bunch of swimming.

You could get a PC fixture and keep some mushrooms, and zoos, and maybe a leather.

Like I said, search around the pages in this forum and get some ideas.

kewliz
03/28/2006, 06:17 PM
a clown goby with a few polyps would work.
they're tiny and don't swim much, and since they're slow/shy eaters, it would be able to get food.

Gundo5000
03/28/2006, 07:04 PM
I second a clown goby.

Mine loves to eat cyclop-ease

autofish
03/28/2006, 08:00 PM
Thanks folks! :)

Daniel62
03/29/2006, 07:28 PM
Check out the tiny gobies at fosters & smith. They have some that only get an inch long.

Brandon's Reef
03/30/2006, 12:16 AM
I have a TOMs Deco Kit 3 gallon and Im doing a highfin goby and tiger pistol pair.

autofish
03/30/2006, 10:09 AM
Hmmm, I have a question: Why couldn't I put a single clown in?

Reason I ask: They only grow to 3 inches, and I've heard 1 inch per gallon is an OK maximum load. Is it a happiness issue - is he going to be stressed and die young due to not having enough room, or what? I'd planned on buying a small, young fish so he will have years to grow.

Brandon's Reef
03/30/2006, 10:38 AM
dont do the clown with that much bio-load in that small of a tank it will not be worth all of the algea you will be getting to keep the little guy. Why don't you just set up a ten gallon for the clown?

Jordan55
03/30/2006, 10:42 AM
The inch per gallon does NOT apply to saltwater... and I don't really think it applies to freshwater either.

Clowns are swimming fish and need more room to move around in. And I have seen some clowns get big.

I still think putting a fish in a 3 gallon is a bit stupid, but it has been done and I guess it can be done.

Gobies do not swim much and stay pretty small, so they are a better choice. Make sure the goby you choose stays under about 2 inches max.

Do some research before you start this tank up. Look around in the forums and pull information from each thread. It is good that you ddin't start this tank up and then come here. I give you credit for asking and checking around.

Good luck!

Mikeeal
03/30/2006, 10:52 AM
I've seen plenty of clowns over the 4" mark.

hooterhead
03/30/2006, 11:19 AM
it all depends on the type. maroons, tomatoes, clarkii's get to about 6" as percs, skunks, saddlebacks usually max at about 3".

Jordan55
03/30/2006, 11:49 AM
Either way... most fish including clowns do not belong in a 3 gallon.

autofish
03/30/2006, 12:51 PM
Understood. I appreciate the info.

I will just keep this 3 gallon as a freshwater tank. I've got some dwarf puffers in there now and they're fun to watch, and have plenty of room to swim given their tiny size. I'm not big into corals and really had my heart set on a clown, but I'm not going to put one in this tank after hearing the comments here.

I don't want to buy a bigger tank. The 3 gallon is a nice little office fixture that fits well on my desk. I sold my larger tanks last year as I tired of the maintenance and expense. I'll just stick to freshwater, and maybe consider a 10 gallon nano saltwater in the future. :)

Thanks again, I appreciate your advice.