PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Zoos

Stinky2426
03/28/2006, 11:35 PM
Hey guys and gals,

I recently purchase some zoo frags from the internet. They were fine for a week, but they are losing the vibrant colors. Need help,
thanks

Mikeyjer
03/28/2006, 11:51 PM
What kind of lights are you running?

c_stowers
03/28/2006, 11:55 PM
My guess would be not enough light. Usually when zoas start to loose color in my tank, I move them up closer to the lights and they color up again.

Stinky2426
03/28/2006, 11:56 PM
I have atinics with 175 mh pushing 10k bulbs, my water parameters checked out fine with EB

Stinky2426
03/29/2006, 12:02 AM
Ok i will try that, thanks Chris, do u guys put in specific supplements like Combo Vital, Black powder and spectra vital. I heard they help with coral growth and coloring. Is this a myth? Does anyone use them? Please let me know...

c_stowers
03/29/2006, 12:05 AM
I use Seachem Reef Vitamin and Reef Trace. There are alot of people that don't use any of these supplements and have great sucess. These people are usually very diligent about their water changes though. I have noticed that these supplements don't do much for SPS but drastically help the color and health of my ricordea/shrooms and zoas. I do monthly water changes and dose the supplements once a week (skipping the week I do a water change). I think the recommended dosage for Seachem's product is way too high. IME, it is not necessary to dose these supplements twice a week.

sn8kbit
03/29/2006, 05:58 AM
I think you may need to give it a bit more time also. A lot of the internet dealers grow under 400W Halides, and I'm sure they're adjusting. Moving them up will help, but they will color up more over time.

I use ComboVital and Weiss' Coral Vital. Great growth and great color, and I only use T-5's on my 75. I'm starting a frag/grow out tank in the next couple of weeks for zoos specifically. These supplements, and water changes are all I'll do with it. (Should be 70+ morphs by then)

Angela Short
03/30/2006, 09:15 AM
All my zoas down low under my 175's loose there color :(. I would try moving them higher.