PDA

View Full Version : Algae scrubber

Pinksteel
03/29/2006, 09:42 AM
I was thinking about setting up an algae scrubber in my sump as I have some extra space. I heared that this can sometimes cause problems if the macro algae is not constantly pruned. I know someone who let it grow too much and it let out a milky substance which I believe are spores attemting to roam the tank. This substance i believe could polute the water, reasing all everything the algae has absorbed. Is this something that is likely to happen?

I just wanted to know if the costs of an algae scrubber would outweighed the benefits?

DJ88©
03/29/2006, 09:53 AM
[moved]

somethingphishy
03/29/2006, 10:09 AM
Stay away from the grape calerpa it has a better chance of going sexual and releaseing phos/spores. Keep other types of calerpa on a reverse light schedule comparied to the tank lights and keep the photo period at least appprox 12 hours. I have a small CPR hang on and have had no trouble with any of the problems you have mentioned. Just be sure to kee the calerpa in check---which is not a hard chore.

andiruleu
03/31/2006, 12:29 AM
can u keep calerpa in the tank itself? if you dont have a refugium?

XeniaMania
03/31/2006, 12:35 AM
I've read/heard that if you keep the caluerpa under lights 24/7 they can't complete their cycle so they never go sexual on you. Another alternative is to use Chaetomorpha since that sucks up nutrients with the speed of algae, yet doesn't go sexual. When my chaeto dominates my fuge, my caluerpa has problems growing.

reefD
03/31/2006, 12:39 AM
there are different species of grape caluerpa. i have grape caluerpa and have left it with out pruning for months. doesnt go sexual. the best advise is find a macro that grows fast in your situation. this will decrease any chance of it going sexual . also if you have any knowledge of plants they are keyed to fruit or go sexual by daylight hours( as long as water quality is good) bad water quality or what ever will kill off the plant no mater what.. this keys a change from vegative growth to budding or fruit growth. the plant stops using enery to grow and using enery to reproduce. botony specifically says leaving a plant in a 24 daylight envirment forces it to remain in constant vegative growth. the plant does not need a night cycle. they dont need rest. this envirnment ensures that the palnt can not decide to go sexual. it may die off but never thinks its fall and thus time to fruit.