PDA

View Full Version : Ok, what about the pump size?

petstoreguy
03/29/2006, 12:31 PM
I can do that. thanks. But I'm still not sure what size pump I need. Like how many gallons per hour? Don't want to blow my corals off the rocks, but i need enough for my SPS's.

tack-msv
03/29/2006, 02:33 PM
I run a Gen-X Mak4 (PCX-40). It is rated at 1190 gph. With the SQWD backpressure and headloss, I am getting somewhere around 850-950 gph.

I can't really suggest a pump size for you because I am running this on a 120g SPS heavy reef and I certainly have to supplement with powerheads (2 SEIO 1500's and 2 SEIO 620's). Being as you would be running this on a breeder, you may be able to get away with just running the SQWD with a large pressure rated pump.

petstoreguy
03/29/2006, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the info. Do you recommend a specific brand that's reliable? I found an exteranl pump, but I'm not sure if it's worth buying and I'm not sure what size I need. I have quite a few corals, well over 50 different species, some frags, some colonies. I like diversity. Looking for a size big enough to eliminate all but two power heads, one dedicated to a gorgonian, and the other for inside my rocks to remove any settled particles.

tack-msv
03/30/2006, 08:33 AM
I am not sure if you are using this as a Closed Loop or for a return from the sump/refugium.
If it's a return from the sump, a large pump can push more water through than is optimal, so you may want a smaller pump, which would be at your discretion.
If it's for a Closed Loop, I would say a pressure rated pump at around 1200-1400gph. With headloss and backpressure, that should be just about right for your breeder. Iwaki, Gen-X, Pan World, Amp Master(Dolphin), etc; All of these are external pumps, as very few manufacturers make an internal pressure pump.
I haven't tried the mod for the SQWD yet. It may allow for more flow and therefor you could use a smaller pump.

petstoreguy
03/30/2006, 03:04 PM
Thanks, I've decided to got with closed loop, seeing that i don't have a sump quite yet. I'm going with a 950 gph pump and boring out the intake and exhaust ports on the SCWD.
On a side note, I just went to a not-so-local pet store, Fishy Business Bowling Green, KY. I love this store. They have a revolving cylinder tank with mixed corals everywhere. The biggest yellow tang I've ever seen. They gave me frags of all the SPS's (excluding cultured). I also purchased a gigas clam. I even got a tortusa(deep blue) frag for $6. I recommend this store to anyone within a corals ride :)