PDA

View Full Version : Does this overflow box work ?

CoMMaNdeR
03/29/2006, 02:13 PM
Here is a DIY Overflow box that I have just create. Did you think this can work just fine or there is something that I can add or arrange ?

Thanks

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/112839Overflow.JPG

teo241
03/29/2006, 02:20 PM
did you mean to post a pic?

CoMMaNdeR
03/29/2006, 02:26 PM
Yes teo I have just updated it.

teo241
03/29/2006, 02:31 PM
looks like it would work.

are you going to use a mesh/protector so that snails etc don't plug the hole from the tank?

CoMMaNdeR
03/29/2006, 02:36 PM
Yes for sure. I will make something, so that a fish or a snail cannot pass through. For the overflow box I am planing to make it of glass and close it all even at the top, but just drill a hole at the top for air.

So it would be quite like the durso pipe.. Hope that this will work.
Any suggestions pls ?

teo241
03/29/2006, 02:39 PM
just wondering how you would attach it to the back of the aquarium?

you could use and adjustable air valve for the hole in the durso, so that you can adjust the water level without needing to take the top off the overflow.

looks good

CoMMaNdeR
03/29/2006, 02:42 PM
I was thinking to seal it with silicone to the side of the aquarium. It will not seen because this tank is going to be in wall.

I was thinking that I dont need to close the top of the overflow box because I can always connect the durso pipe method with the drain that is located inside the box...

overCee
03/29/2006, 03:55 PM
Why make the box so deep? The only reason to have a deep box is that there is enough water to keep a siphon in a siphon tube (I think). Since you don't have a siphon tube you don't need standing water in the box. Make the box as small as you can while it still supports the pipe you need.

Heck, you could probably just attach the pipe directly to the hole drilled in the aquarium. I'm not sure about this idea, but it might work.

revance
03/29/2006, 03:59 PM
Perhaps you could do something like this. This is a small acrylic tank I made a while back.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/633357078new_tank_back.JPG

revance
03/29/2006, 04:08 PM
Or if you are trying to just add a drain to an existing tank, you could just do this, it works just like a durso but without the external box...

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/63335overflow2.JPG

navajo
03/29/2006, 04:20 PM
I really don't see the need for the box either. If you have a hole in the tank, just shove a bulkhead in it and plumb the rest of the way to the sump.

Am I missing something?

But, yes, it would work. Just more of a chance to leak IMO. Bulkhead screwed in tight vs silicone around a box.

Just my $.02

CoMMaNdeR
03/29/2006, 11:42 PM
I made the box to reduce the gurgling sound of water inside the drain pipes .. Am I right saying this ?

If I just connect a bulchead and and the pipe drain should I have still the gurgling like flushing sound ?

Any ideas or pictures to see how can i make it quite ?

CoMMaNdeR
03/30/2006, 06:09 AM
?

revance
03/30/2006, 07:42 AM
It will be reduced if you T off the pipe and put a vent on it like I posted earlier. Just make sure to cap it and drill a small hole in the cap (I didn't show that in the picture) just like on a durso or stockman standpipe.

MeuserReef
03/30/2006, 07:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7069728#post7069728 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by navajo
I really don't see the need for the box either. If you have a hole in the tank, just shove a bulkhead in it and plumb the rest of the way to the sump.

Am I missing something?

But, yes, it would work. Just more of a chance to leak IMO. Bulkhead screwed in tight vs silicone around a box.

Just my $.02

I'll add my $.02 as well( that makes this thread worth a whopping $.04 for all of you CPA's out there!)

I just plumbed my new 30 gallon using this method. I have a 7"x7" acrylic overflow box mounted inside of the tank.. with the drain hole drilled into the back glass. I filled a 90 degree pvc fitting (one end threaded.. one end slip) into the bulkhead on the inside of the tank. The back of the bulkhead attaches to the center part of a "T" fitting. On the top "end" of the T, I put a PVC cap with a hole drilled in the top to allow air to enter the pipe. The drain comes out of the bottom and is plumbed into the sump. I have used 1" pvc but you can use whatever suits your needs best. No messy box glued on and minimal risk of leaks. My return is plumbed up and over the side using 1/2" pvc. (not the way most pros go but..it works for me. Here a pic to illustrate. (small pic.. sorry)

Hope this helps.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v708/Original_Tarheel/ExternalDurso.jpg

navajo
03/30/2006, 08:36 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7072791#post7072791 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CoMMaNdeR
I made the box to reduce the gurgling sound of water inside the drain pipes .. Am I right saying this ?

If I just connect a bulchead and and the pipe drain should I have still the gurgling like flushing sound ?

Any ideas or pictures to see how can i make it quite ?

Whether you have a gurgling sound with a bulkhead or not depends on the size of the hole and the flow of the tank. The gurgling comes when the entire pipe hole gets submerged temporarily due to not being able to handle the flow.

If that's what's happening, I think I would go with the other suggestions and do a pseudo stockman/durso. That should fix you up.

GOOD LUCK!