PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY got my upgrade, please help me plan!!

Teremei
03/29/2006, 02:46 PM
I've had "currently upgrading" in my signature probably for 4 months. I FINALLY got my AGA 125 and stand and canopy which was built for me. .

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/85823AGA-125new.JPG

I need help planning!! The first thing I need to do is get a sump/fuge, skimmer, and return pump and pluming so I can atleast get my southdown in there and get the tank filled with water and cycling. .

SKIMMER

The guy who is making my custom sump suggested and out of sump skimmer. The 2 he recently suggested are The Bullet 2 (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PM-BULLET2&Category_Code=PM) or the TS (trigger systems) 200. Both are rated to about 250 gallons. I WANT to overskim so this is where I want to shoot. Anybody like one over the other? Any other suggestions?

RETURN PUMP

Probably a Panworld 50-px-x (1110 GPH) (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PW-50PX-X&Category_Code=Panworld) . I'm going to be seperating it into 4 different return flows each with a rotating hydor on it. I'll be adding a vortech when the tank is a little more established. .

I just want to get that stuff first so I can get the tank starting to cycle. . Oh yes. Any suggestions as what to paint the back side? And if I want to stain the cabinet a little darker can that be done without harm to the currently running tank right next to it if I'm extremely careful?

Teremei
03/29/2006, 05:00 PM
Are my choices ok so far with the panworld 1110gph and bullet2 or TS200 skimmer? Opinions on those?

lvpd186
03/29/2006, 10:00 PM
You might want to check out the vender forums and see which one has better comments. I've never had either (I have an Aqua-c 120). I have my tank back painted black, I think it adds some depth to the tank. I have also seen several tanks with a blue back that look good as well. As for the staining of the stand; I would think that the person who built it for you probably sealed it after he stained it, so I dont think you can re-stain it very easily (I'm sure there are some woodworkers out there that would be able to tell you how). If anything staining wood can be very messy and the fumes can be very strong. Both good reasons not to do it after the tank is running IMO. Good luck.

Amphiprion
03/29/2006, 10:04 PM
If you have the budget, spring for a Deltec skimmer. An APF600 or higher should work nicely.

Teremei
03/29/2006, 10:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7072227#post7072227 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lvpd186
You might want to check out the vender forums and see which one has better comments. I've never had either (I have an Aqua-c 120). I have my tank back painted black, I think it adds some depth to the tank. I have also seen several tanks with a blue back that look good as well. As for the staining of the stand; I would think that the person who built it for you probably sealed it after he stained it, so I dont think you can re-stain it very easily (I'm sure there are some woodworkers out there that would be able to tell you how). If anything staining wood can be very messy and the fumes can be very strong. Both good reasons not to do it after the tank is running IMO. Good luck.

Thanks for that, I'll probably just keep it the way it is then, and not stain it. It realy looks quite fine. It's not an eyesore or anything. Just wished for a darker color.

As for the other stuff, I'll check out the vendors thanks! I am leaning toward a bullet 2 which is rated to 250g.