PDA

View Full Version : Preventative Dips for New Fish?

seamommie
03/29/2006, 03:35 PM
I'm curious to hear how many of you do preventative dips when you purchase a fish and how exactly you do them. I would like to start dipping any new arrivals and want to do it correctly.

Also, any suggestions for a good book on disease treatment / prevention?

Thanks for your input and suggestions.

Lisa

TheMcs
03/29/2006, 04:01 PM
We don't dip unless there's something to dip for. QT the fish and watch. No need to stress it out.
Zoas & SPS get short FW or Tropic Marin coral cure dips upon arrival.

quaz
03/31/2006, 11:31 PM
I wouldn't do fish. They really need to relax, get strong and comfortable in a new establishment.
Some coral on the other hand, must be dipped (in various methods) before putting it in your tank.

Take zoa's for example. Do you know how many zoas grow intermingled with sponge in the ocean and when taken out of the water the sponge dies, releasing toxins and rotting and you've got a stinky zoa with a bacterial or fungal infection. Not to mention if there may be a litttle nudi or preditory snail aboard.

I want to stress this point about zoa's and I bet other stores would agree.

oddballs
04/13/2006, 11:38 AM
kenny at the oklahoma aquarium told me that all of the marine fish get a fw bath/dip that come to the aquarium. and the fw fish get the same treatment in saltwater .we only dip certain fish when they get to the shop if they are really stressed(which is not often)we aclimate to our qt tank and try to dip in the following days .we give all zoanthids vabout a 2 to 4 minute fw bath to make sure that no parasites are getting in our tanks and after they are done soaking we shake them underwater pretty good to make sure the beasties if any have fallen off the zos.with acros and montiporas we just use a combo of any of the coral dips and a couple of drops of lugols solution for a 3 to 5 min bath then we move them to the tanks and make sure they have good flow on them !sorry to rattle on but sometimes you have to to explain things.

TheMcs
04/13/2006, 12:27 PM
Glad to hear you've finally set up a QT tank Scott! Which one did you wind up using? It's easy for us to QT since the fish are out of sight, how are you finding it to say "no" when people can see and want to buy your fish in QT? I imagine it would be an added headache.

oddballs
04/14/2006, 10:31 AM
not really i just explain its in there better interest that they wait most understand and agree!

naterd1976
04/14/2006, 12:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7087090#post7087090 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by quaz

Take zoa's for example. Do you know how many zoas grow intermingled with sponge in the ocean and when taken out of the water the sponge dies, releasing toxins and rotting and you've got a stinky zoa with a bacterial or fungal infection. Not to mention if there may be a litttle nudi or preditory snail aboard.

I want to stress this point about zoa's and I bet other stores would agree.

Quaz,

I'm confused about your statement about the Zoa's. If they have a sponge that will die when taken out of water, how will the dip get rid of the sponge? Will it fall off or do you scrub it?

jjmcat
04/14/2006, 07:41 PM
I dont understand about the sponge as well.Ive got some that i had to use a tooth pic to remove.These are the sponges that like to sting you when you touch them. Ive never killed a sponge by taking it out of the water.

quaz
04/14/2006, 08:47 PM
Sorry for not being clear.
Your best bet is to remove as much of the sponge as possible. Using a disinfectant coral dip like lugol's helps to cut back on bacterial infections that become troublesome and could kill a whole colony.
Zoa's can get white fungal like coats over them as well and the dips will help to prevent the further spread of it.