PDA

View Full Version : uh oh.. can i do hyposalinity and a copper treatment at the same time?

TOURKID
03/29/2006, 07:16 PM
just started up a qt tonight for my clown with ick.. i lowered the salinity to 1.021 soo far, and added copper treatment. can i do both of these at the same time?? i was just reading a thread thru here and it implied i should pick one or the other

please help fast

kraze3
03/29/2006, 07:43 PM
I think you should pick one. Copper is harder to maintain if there is substrate or lr in the tank, also too much copper will kill your fish. IMO I'd say go with the hypo but if you have used copper before of you think you can handle it then its your call
HTH

TOURKID
03/29/2006, 07:46 PM
no im a newbie and i dont know what im doing. the bottle of 'nox ick' says 1 drop per gallon for 3 days, skip a day then another three if it hasent stopped

I really need help

I already did 1 dose of copper. is it ok to switch and just start lowering the salinity?

how long do i keep it low, two weeks treatment or a full 6 weeks?

kraze3
03/29/2006, 07:50 PM
Im not sure if you should just switch to the hypo. Someone else will hopefully chime in to answer that. I have never used nox ick so I cant really help you too much further. It may be very easy to use Im nost sure.
However Hypo should be done for 6-8 weeks, I did mine for 8.

Someone should answer the copper question soon. Dont worry seeing as you arent supposed to dose again til tomorrow

SAT
03/30/2006, 09:44 AM
Nox ich contains malachite green, corrrect? If so it's not copper and you can remove it very quickly with activated carbon.

Copper is much more toxic to fish in freshwater than in salt, so we don't recommend using it in hyposalinity. However, the act of reducing the salinity will also dilute the copper. You can rapidly remove the rest with chemical filtration ("heavy metal sponge" or "polyfilter"). If it's a bound or chelated form, activated carbon may also work.

TOURKID
03/30/2006, 10:09 AM
ok, went to the lfs today, yes your are right nox ick is malachite green... and easily removable with carbon. the lfs suggested that i stick with nox ick and leave the salinity where ever i have it for now. anyone agree? he hasent given me the best advice in the past...

fish wont eat today, i tried reg. mysis her fav, then i tried garlic extreame by kent on mysis, no go.

she seems ok. swimming not scratching, but not eating either....

I would have to add more nox ick about 6 tonight.. unless i do somthing else. Im really inexperienced and dont want to lose this fish, i do whatever it takes, moneys no pronblem, but im a newb and anything i could screw up would be bad.. btw.. i dont have a refractmeter, just the arm swinging hydrometer... i think thats why lfs said use nox ick

qt- temp and salinity are stable, didernt have it set up, so no bio filter. i stuffed a hangon filter with filter floss from my main tank....

SAT
03/30/2006, 10:50 AM
I don't know of any expert who recommends using malachite green to treat marine ich, although it is commonly recommended for the freshwater variety. The treatments we recommend are hyposalinity & copper, in that order.

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/marineich.html

BTTRFLYGRL
03/30/2006, 02:08 PM
I believe that product is even labeled for Freshwater. I would stop using it

TOURKID
03/30/2006, 02:12 PM
no, it states for fresh or saltwater

1 drop per gallon for freshwater, 2 drops per gallon for salt water

i dont have a refractometer so im leary of doing hyposalinity, and im weary of copper because im inexperienced

BTTRFLYGRL
03/30/2006, 02:26 PM
Start dropping the sg and order a refractometer online..Premiumaquatics.com has a deal going on right now for RC members

kraze3
03/30/2006, 05:48 PM
Hypo is not hard to maintain with a refractometer. It wont be wasted money for you either, you'll soon say how did I ever live without this. Its so easy and pprecise

Im jsut finishing my hypo treatment and it was my first ever, as long as you watch your ph and make sure to do top offs its easy.

TOURKID
03/31/2006, 12:36 PM
how do i get the deal on premium aquatics?