PDA

View Full Version : New Mantis Tank

Codeman00
03/29/2006, 10:20 PM
After I saw Vicki's mantis shrimp tank at the January meeting, I had to follow along and get one for myself! Chad and Robin have tried to tell me I need to get one and now I finally agree. This new mantis tank is going in my office instead of the dining room or living room.

At first, I was torn between a 2.5 gallon and 5 gallon minibow, and finally I decided on a 5 gallon. They didn't sell black 5 gallon tanks anywhere in Jackson so I ordered mine online.

I then upgraded the pump / filter system to the AquaClear 100GPH rated for a 20gal tank
I added a 50W Stealth shockproof heater (and hopefully mantis proof)
I took out the stock lighting assembly and moved it over so I could add a 20W 50/50 PC bulb
I added a (2) LED moonlight set

I set the tank up this weekend and over the last couple of days have aquascaped it in addition to adding a few frags from my main tank. The mantis will probably knock it over, but we'll see what happens.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/4298/83895TANK1.JPG
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/4298/83895DESKTANK.JPG

The next step is to find a mantis shrimp. Chad and Robin's "Gringo" and Vicki's mantis shrimps are awesome, but I want to be different and see if I can get a Pacific species. I think I've decide to order the "lime green" mantis from LiveAquaria.com http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=2281&N=0 ...from what I understand its like a potluck draw from several differnt species and the mantis does not necessarily look like the picture. Hard tellin' what I'm going to end up with. He should be here next week.

Glove
03/29/2006, 11:02 PM
Sweet tank. That will be a nice home for a mantis.
Is that glass?
I have a 7 gallon bow. I loved it when I saw the all black. I mounted a PFO retro for (1) 26w compact florescent in there. The one thing I had to do was find a heater/filter combo that would allow the heater to be placed in the filter. I didnt want to see the heater. I also decided no PH as the HOB filter was fine for what it is.

again, nice tank and location!

I love it as a QT for new corals- but I get cross eyed looking into it sometimes.

Codeman00
03/29/2006, 11:12 PM
thanks Glove...I think its going to work out really well as long as I don't end up with a huge mantis. Its actually an acrylic tank so I hope it holds up. The location rocks..right between my computer and TV.

cateyes
03/30/2006, 08:30 AM
Cody i'm sure your mantis will love his new home.

when i first put mine in his 10gal. he did a lot of exploring and digging the first couple of weeks. he then started moving the rock rubble around and made his little fortress to his liking. until he got finished renovating no small frag was safe but now that he appears to be through decorating he's leaving stuff where i put it... except the hermits. :)

good luck with him or her...

Reefdiver77
04/01/2006, 06:39 AM
Looking good Cody. I rarely see "Manny" until I feed him. In fact, today is the day. I guess we will play tug of war with the krill I place on the skewer. He will eat what he wants in his den and them bring the rest out so I can spear it and dispose of it. You know, I think he likes an audience. I have never seen him out as much as he was at the January meeting. Good luck.

teena
04/01/2006, 06:26 PM
i have a mantis shrimp in my 55g came in on a rock, i have yet to see it but i sure can here it , i up grade to a 75g on monday if i catch him he wont go in there, how come i never see him?

Reefdiver77
04/01/2006, 10:08 PM
Are you sure it is a mantis. It may be a pistol shrimp. They get their name from the "pistol" noise they make. Are you missing any fish, crabs, shrimp, snails? Mantis will often destroy those. You can get or make a mantis trap to trap him.

teena
04/02/2006, 02:48 PM
no im not sure what it is, i did lose all my fish but it was because i put 2 LR in my already established tank, & had a small spike, all my fish were found in one peice,

Codeman00
04/26/2006, 09:26 PM
Finally an update.

I searched and searched for a cool Pacific mantis species and it was about impossible to find one if you aren't in California. I decided on a N. Wennerae instead and decided to order it for TampaBaySaltwater.com for $50 shipped to my door. TBS ships their mantis shrimps out USPS Express which is 2 day to our area. So I order it and it comes in on a Saturday DOA. I called TBS and they told me that usually doesnt happen and that I would have to pay them $18 shipping to get another one sent to me.

Then Ramiro posted that he had a mantis in Memphis so I went to get it. Once I got it home and put it in the tank, TBS decided that they would ship me a new mantis shrimp on their expense. So I gave the mantis I had to Colin. Hopefully he's doing okay down in Henderson.

So TBS sends me my package out USPS Express again the next Thursday and it should be here on Saturday. It doesn't arrive. Sunday went by and I called USPS to track it. They finally found it on Monday and luckily Robin came by my house while I was at work to open and acclimate. She opened the box and found that TBS had sent me 2 mantis shrimps instead of one (just in case)....one in each Aquafina bottle. Needless to say, water had leaked from both bottles and one mantis was barely alive. The other mantis was doing better and Robin saved him. The first mantis didn't live unfortunately...but I guess its good that I finally have one that is alive.

So now I do have a mantis shrimp and here is a picture of him below. They are very neat little characters...mine has been digging to build his home over the last few days. Here's a picture of him:
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/4298/83895MANTIS3.JPG

Codeman00
04/26/2006, 09:31 PM
Here is a picture of the dead male N. Wennerae...He was very neat looking. Mine is a little more orange/green.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/4298/83895MANTIS4-med.JPG

redhawk44cb
04/26/2006, 10:38 PM
Mantis #2 is doing fine, but he has yet to hunt. He's definitely a juvenile, and while I'm no stomatopod expert, I assume he's used to scavenging, not hunting. I have a few tiny hermits in his tank, and a couple of astreas he could take, but so far he's content to wait for the occasional mysis. Also, he's selected to adorn an existing cave in the LR instead of excavating one, but this, too, I suspect will change in time. You're right, though, they're interesting characters. I always find it amusing when I lean over to look into his cave and see those two bulbous eyestalks pointed at me, one occasionally drifting to the side to watch a snail. Anyway, I'll try to post pics soon, too.

Codeman00
05/05/2006, 04:48 PM
I will have to say that this mantis is the most interesting creature I have ever had. He spent the first few days behind the rocks and then started digging his home. Amazing how he can carry so much gravel in his arms and can dump it whereever he feels fit. On a daily basis he creates his home, digs windows and doors and then strategically places rubble to block some of the holes he just finished digging. About 30 minutes before the lights go out, he closes up the main door with rubble for the rest of the night. About 4PM he takes the pieces of rubble down and starts re-arranging stuff. That pile of stuff to the right of him is what he has dug out in the last couple of hours ( I know because I flattened it out last night).

The only thing I don't like about him is he never snaps at or kills anything. I've heard him hit rocks inside his hole, but thats about it. Hopefully he will get more aggressive soon!
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/83895MANTIS1-med.JPG

Reefdiver77
05/07/2006, 06:40 AM
Great pics Cody. A very handsome mantis, indeed! I now have a large hermit and a few nacirrius snails in my mantis tank, but Manny apparently prefers Krill. He did kill the emerald crab I put in there with him and did not accept a krill for over a week after gorging on the emeral.

luckyfish
05/07/2006, 02:20 PM
Maybe you have a vegetarian mantis.