PDA

View Full Version : How to get partilces out of the water?

clord
03/30/2006, 09:37 AM
I always have stuff blowing around in my tank. I have put sponges and filter bags everywhere to try and remove it but after 2 weeks I still have them. Does any one else have this probem if so what did you do to fix it? I have a dsb but the sand is not getting stirred up or any thing. Any ideas would be great before I dump some chemicals to try and with the particles.

rooroo
03/30/2006, 09:41 AM
Are you sure they're not microbubbles?

If they aren't try adding a closed loop system with a micron canister filter. You can get a cheap one like a Magnum HOT or 350 from Petsmart. Or You can go all out and get an external pump with a rainbow lifeguard inline mechanical filter. Or even the Nu-Clear filters on MarineDepot.

Dont put any chemicals in there! It could stress your fish and kill your corals.

sttroyiii
03/30/2006, 09:53 AM
Do you use a turkey baster? I blow off all my rocks and rearrange the top layer of sand about once a week. It gets the stuff off of the rock/sand and into the water column where it can be sucked out. I was going to say filter bags, but you already have them.

People are going to want to know what you are using for flow to answer you better.

clord
03/30/2006, 10:01 AM
I have two maxijets 900 with a mag 5 in my sump as my return pump.

fours2many
03/30/2006, 10:16 AM
we used diatom filters to clean and polish our water. Guess what??? Some people still do! I have one and am going to use it every so often. It helps clean little particles out of the water w/o adding chemicals.

I would try it before trying anything else. Maybe you can ask around in your area if someone has one you can try for a few hours. If it works, buy your own and use it when it looks like it needs polishing again. The new set ups even have gravel or rock cleaners. Clean your rock without having to change water.

clord
03/30/2006, 10:32 AM
SO how does one hook up Vortex Diatom Filter ? Or would a canister filter be easier?

rooroo
03/30/2006, 11:36 AM
This (http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ML-MAGHOT&Category_Code=marineland) is the Magnum HOT filter. You can put it on for a few hours or days to clean, then take it off and stow it away. Or leave it on all the time. It's very well priced and last pretty good even when constantly run. You can also get these at Petsmart, so if it should break and you really need a new one, you can go out to the local store and get one.

Here's your diatom filter. (http://www.diatomfilter.com/products/diatom_d1_filter.htm) I don't know much about diatom filters but that's not a bad price to try one out. If it doesn't work for you you can always sell it.

m3rcury
03/30/2006, 12:00 PM
The link says the Magnum moves 250 gallons per hour. Would this be appropriate for flow also? I currently have 1 penguin sponge filter that moves 175 gph. I was told i should be moving at least 400 gph in my 40 breeder. So, if I am going to pay $40 or so for another powerhead, I might as well get some better mechanical filtration in addition to the pump. Right now I just have the sponge filter and a bak pak skimmer/filter.

clord
03/30/2006, 12:33 PM
Rooroo thanks for the link I'll go buy that Magnum HOT tomorrow to see if it will help clear up the water.