PDA

View Full Version : Problem with bubbles in my sump's return

mahjshn
03/30/2006, 01:53 PM
Any advice that you have would be appreciated with this bubble problem I'm having. Let me explain my DIY sump/fuge. Their are 3 chambers, water enters at the far left where I also have a skimmer. The water then passes through a bubble trap and enters into a fuge, the 2nd chamber, which has no bubble. The water then falls over the last divider into the 3rd chamber where the return pump is and this is the chamber that I see the rise and fall of water based on evaporation. The first 2 chambers water level sits at the heigth of the wall inbetween the 2nd and 3rd chamber.

THE PROBLEM: As the water falls into the 3rd chamber it is causing bubbles and these bubbles are being sucked up by the return pump and therefore into the main tank as little micro bubbles.

What I've tried:
1) keeping the level of water high in the 3rd chamber. The problem with this is that when the water is high enough to stop the bubbles then I'm passed the point of water saftey in the sump. IE- if there was a power failure my sump would overflow.

2) I tried to add a second bubble trap but then I had the same problem because after the bubble trap the water entering into the 3rd chamber still caused bubble.

3) I have a ball valve on the return pump, so I tried slowing it down. So less water is entering the main tank. This maid the bubbles less, but did not get rid of them. And it seems like by doing this I'm just lessening the effectiveness of my sump/fuge.

4) I pulled my hair out, making myself bald, I took my bald head and shoved it into the sump which made me feel better for just a brief second until I looked at the micro bubbles in my main tank again.

Any advice you have would really be appreciated!

Bug_Power
03/30/2006, 01:58 PM
extend a piece of acrylic at a 45 degree angle from the overflow down to the lower part of the tank. Water will simply roll down this rather then fall into the tank. The flatter the angle, the less bubbles.....
|~
|..\~~~~~~~~~~~~~
|....\
|
|

dustins
03/30/2006, 02:31 PM
genius