PDA

View Full Version : advice on moving a tank...

psyrob
03/30/2006, 04:33 PM
I am moving, finally bought a house and will stop paying someone else's mortgage! I have a 60 gallon mixed softy and LPS with 65 lbs of live rock, 5 fish. There is 1 and 1/2 inches of sand in there as well. It has a sump and is drilled with two bulkheads. The pvc pipe is cemented into the bulkheads, which are up at the waterline

The move is only six blocks away, so I can do it pretty quick, no big long drive from one city to another. Does anyone have advice or horror stories to share that I could learn from?

I figure I will put the rock in 5 gallon buckets with water, and each of the 20 or so corals (mushrooms, star polyps, hammer, cynarina, brains, branching monti and branching porites, zoa's) in individual tupperware, then move the tank with just the sand in it and then reload it all at the new place.

Any advice or info is really appreciated!
Rob

Sohal guy
03/30/2006, 04:47 PM
Sounds like you know how to do everything right. Just try to save as much "clean" water as possible before you stir everything up. That way there won't be any small spikes or anything.

nepuck
03/30/2006, 04:56 PM
The sand could be a problem. Disturbed sand can unleash all kinds of nutients and latent chemicals.