PDA

View Full Version : Live rock aquascaping

The_Taz_Devil
03/30/2006, 05:09 PM
Hi all,

Very new to this site although I have read through many posts in the past......always looking to increase my knowledge and system. I have an undrilled tank which is due to be drilled (2 x 43m hole to accommodate 32mm tank connector Pipe work) in the next few weeks and a 3 section sump added (1220 x 380 x 380mm in 8mm glass 32m pipe work). Sump will have inlet on left hand side which is T'd off to both the left side which houses the Deltec ap851 skimmer and also feed the refugium on the right hand side via a ball valve which has a comb baffle to the return section. From skimmer section there are 3 baffles to the return section which will have an auto RO/DI top up and also various pinpoint monitors and the heater. Refugium will include live Sand and caulerpa. Return via Ehiem 1250 pump and 20mm Pipe work. Plan to also factor in a Deltec KM500 kalkwasser stirrer and Deltec PF501 calcium reactor (when I get around to it, they are still in boxes).

To the question........ I have about 80Kg of live rock which has various sponges and polyps growing already, pretty good quality fiji rock. I need to try and aquascape this rock so that my conversion to reef is complete.

Does anyone have any idea how this can be achieved. Thinking of using acrylic and pvc piping with egg crate to provide the base for the rock but really dont have any idea how to achieve it, what materials and sizes to use.....please help!

Cheers

WaterKeeper
03/30/2006, 05:23 PM
Hi Taz
[welcome]

I like to use PVC or solid plastic dowels to support the LR. One to one and one half inch is a good size. I cut it so it is just a shade below the sand surface. If it is too high some critters will go under the rock and rarely be seen. You can drill holes in the rock and use plastic dowels to make ledges if you desire. Just use super glue to hold the dowels in place.

You may want to read The New Tank Thread (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=239848) for details on starting that tank.

John Hartford
03/30/2006, 07:00 PM
I like the idea to the PVC pipes too, thats what I use

jdm01
03/30/2006, 09:57 PM
I just looked for pieces of rock that fit well together. For the most part I have stacked securely without pvc, dowels, zip ties, etc... Every once in a while I let the rock rest against the glass.

The_Taz_Devil
03/31/2006, 04:55 AM
Thanks guys and will check out the link you provided Tom for some inspiration.