PDA

View Full Version : April Meeting 2006

Jacob D
03/30/2006, 09:37 PM
April Meeting: Introduction to Saltwater and Reef Aquariums.
When: Saturday, April 29th, 2006 at 12:00 Noon
Where: Valley Brewery Family Restaurant
157 W. Adams St., Stockton CA 95204

If you're curious about setting up a saltwater aquarium, keeping corals, saltwater fish, or other reef critters then you don't want to miss this meeting! It's open to the public and no charge to attend. A short informative DVD video will be presented, and a checklist to help get you started will be available to take home. Following the video there will be time to talk with other hobbyists and ask questions, along with the club raffle.

Hobbyists of all experience levels are invited to attend. Aside from meeting and helping others you may even learn something new. We want everyone to feel welcome and will have name tags for all to wear. Please find them when you arrive :)

Other Stuff...
We're trying out yet another new venue (Valley Brewery). It has turned out to be pretty challenging finding just the right spot to meet at, we'll see how this works and go from there. Any other suggestions for meeting locations are welcome!!

The main idea behind this meeting is to help bring others into the hobby and introduce them to the club. If you run into any newbies or other reefers in general let them know about the club. We have informational cards for you to take and pass out also, if you don't have any make sure to ask us!

That's all for now, stay tuned here for any updates and/or conversation regarding the meeting.

Jesus
03/31/2006, 02:04 PM
Wow, a Brewery. I like this club, soooo laid back. Okey, who's buying the first round?

jesus

Bdimas
03/31/2006, 07:59 PM
I'll buy first! :beer:

Jesus
03/31/2006, 10:57 PM
Do you guys know what kinda food they they serve?

jesus

Jacob D
04/01/2006, 10:56 AM
They have hamburgers, sandwiches, etc...

From what I understand though, at least for this meeting, they are going to give us a menu with 3 choices on it. Bryan had to do some bargaining with them to get the room. Usually they want a $250 deposit and everyone has to pay on one tab -

We do not have to pay on one tab and we don't have to give a deposit. We'll see how it goes, if we all like it maybe we can get them to be more flexible with us in the future.

lanxang
04/01/2006, 05:06 PM
if the we keep going in this direction i might have to start drinking. lol.

Bdimas
04/01/2006, 08:20 PM
C'mon Lak everyone is doing it. :dance:

Jacob D
04/01/2006, 08:58 PM
ahaha....

I'll never forget Lak sitting at the back of the MARS meeting when some of the 'NVR rowdies' were up at the front having a few beers... we knew he wouldn't associate himself with us creetins ;)

lanxang
04/01/2006, 09:32 PM
this is what I'll look like after one sip. :celeb3:

yeah, who were those rowdie guys. I think Roundtable ran out of beers because of them. lol

Good choice of place, I can finally order a burger and not be made fun of, well except for the beer. I might have to sit in the back. :D

Jesus
04/01/2006, 10:19 PM
Lax, you can alway buy Odeols a non alcoholic beer.

jesus

Reefugee
04/01/2006, 11:32 PM
I tenatively plan on being at the meeting. :D Last time I hung out with you guys, I got lucky and bought a pair of peppermint shrimps that are aptasia! -Minh

Jacob D
04/02/2006, 11:01 AM
that are aptasia!
Well if they ARE aptasia I think you better attend the meeting Minh, so we can show you the difference between a peppermint shirimp and an aptasia ;)

:lol:

Reefugee
04/02/2006, 11:51 AM
Laughing my a** off. Good catch. I guess I will be at the meeting. :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7094920#post7094920 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mothra
Well if they ARE aptasia I think you better attend the meeting Minh, so we can show you the difference between a peppermint shirimp and an aptasia ;)

:lol:

MrMonkeyFingers
04/03/2006, 12:03 AM
The Brewery has good food, REALLY good season fries there as well as the burgers a really big but they are a little $$ for a burger and fries but it's worth it. I think around $8-10 for a burger and fries but it's a great part of town, nice invironment and closer to the LFS than Cancun was. I should be there but I have guests coming into town that weekend but I'm going to try and break away from them!

Jesus
04/03/2006, 05:33 AM
Wow, good food and good beer what else you can ask for.

jesus

Bdimas
04/03/2006, 12:17 PM
Frags!!!!!!

MrMonkeyFingers
04/03/2006, 01:44 PM
man.. I think I must of had a few beers with that last post.. sorry for the misspelled words and the grammer

Aquareefer776
04/07/2006, 08:09 AM
Jacob-

How long do the meetings generally last? I have to work that night, and want to know how much time I might before having to go to work at 5. Thanks!

Jacob D
04/07/2006, 09:11 AM
It will probably be close to 2:00 PM when we finish the raffle. The typical order of events is something like this...

1. We usually give everyone a few minutes to settle down after showing up.
2. I'll speak for 15 minutes maybe.
3. Guest Speaker (This time we have a DVD)
4. I'll speak for a few more minutes
5. Raffle
6. After that everyone is free to hang out and shoot the breeze, ask other reefers questions, meet other members, etc...

Jacob D
04/17/2006, 12:19 PM
Pretty quiet in here these days.... anyone out there :)
Hope to see some friendly familiar and new faces at the meeting.

Bdimas
04/18/2006, 09:51 AM
Im out there. At least that's what my wife says

Jacob D
04/18/2006, 12:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7199149#post7199149 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bdimas
Im out there. At least that's what my wife says

She may be on to something there.

Ok so how about a teaser....
All of the remaining meetings this year are booked! These will all feature guest speakers from within the industry/hobby.
AND
We have some fun events planned out for the 'off months'. If you want to be one of the first to know what kind of cool stuff is going on for the rest of the year then set aside a couple hours and come on out!

We'll of course post all of this information later for those who can't make it... or want to sleep in :)

rulesmith
04/19/2006, 11:48 AM
I met a new guy shopping at twins the other day. He was new to saltwater, so I told him about the meeting, and he was really excited. Not going to post his name here, LoL cause I do not want to misspell it.

Aquarist Guru
04/22/2006, 10:40 PM
I plan to attend and it will be a first for me as I just found out about NVR today.

I'm extremely new to the hobby and with that extremely addicted to it already.

I just can't learn enough about it.

I look foward to meeting to you all next weekend.

Bdimas
04/23/2006, 12:01 PM
Welcome to the club. This will be a good meeting for you to attend since it will be a new to reefing meeting. See you there!

sagitariuscbc
04/29/2006, 09:36 AM
man it seems like i'll never be able to make it to a meeting now that the club meets only 6 times a year. today my son has a baseball game, i'll be with you all in spirit!~)

shawn!~)

Jacob D
04/29/2006, 07:02 PM
Hey Shawn! We do get together in the off months, I'll be posting the plans for the rest of the year later today, I hope you can make it back out.

I heard today's meeting went pretty well and that the new venue was a keeper. Sorry that I could not make it but I got knocked out with the flu bug or something again. It was good to hear that we had something like 10 new folks in attendance. I look forward to meeting you all at an upcoming NVR event.

sagitariuscbc
04/29/2006, 07:45 PM
sounds great!~)

hope you feel better real soon!~)

btw my son and his team rock!~) go nationals!~)

!~)

Aquareefer776
05/01/2006, 11:14 PM
Hey Jacob,

Was rerally bummed out that i couldnt make meeting. I wound up in hospital due to a bike accident. Is there any way I might be able to borrow the DVD that was shown? Or where i can purchase it.

Jacob D
05/02/2006, 07:36 AM
Oh man, hope it wasn't too serious. The BOD will need to discuss lending it out. It can be Purchased from Carter's Pet Mart but I would recommend a good book over the DVD. I'll get back to you soon...

Aquareefer776
05/03/2006, 01:34 AM
Nothing too serious. Broken wrist,sprained ankle and wrist, some bruises and of course ROAD RASH!!!! Lol. Another"cager" running a red light. I'm guessing a couple of kids, or a drunk driver since they really didnt stop. They stopped long enough to see i was moving then bolted, no luck on getting license plate either. Oh well its the risk I take for my passion of riding.